Re: [Authentic_SCA] French Renaissance Garb

  • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2001
      At 09:52 PM 10/31/2001 +0000, you wrote:
      >What reference works would you recommend for 16th century french
      >garb? I have a friend asking, and I couldn't answer her... Esp.
      >anything on the caliber of Janet Arnold ala' QEWU.
      >D.

      Well, as far as I know, the only French specific 16th c. costuming book is
      by Blum, Andrew and part of the Costume of the Western World series
      entitled "The Last Valois 1515-90." Good for the pictures but the text
      needs a grain of salt.

      Keep in mind however, that "Patterns of Fashion" is useful for French as
      well as English, Italian, or Spanish. The examples used are from more than
      one country and the information is fairly valid for most of Europe in the
      second half of the 16th c. The best way to do French well is look at every
      image you can find and use the good sources (like Arnold and Alcega) to
      figure out the French. It really isn't all that different from English at
      a lot of times in the 16th c. If there are specific questions I will try
      and help.

      Cheers,
      Gwendoline