Re: [Authentic_SCA] What Quebec is, was languages

  • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2001
      At 08:30 PM 10/31/2001 +0000, you wrote:
      >--- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Marianne Perdomo Machin <marianne@c...>
      > > And then there's Drachenwald, and whatever Quebec is called...
      >Quebec and some other bits of eastern Canada are part of the East
      >Kingdom. I attended an event there earlier this spring (I was
      >kidnapped by our kingdom Earl Marshal and several of his
      >cronies. "C'mon, Jehanne, you speak French....") The Quebecois speak
      >French as their primary language, and as I understand it, are rather
      >militant about preserving their French culture, but French and
      >English were both being spoken at the event. (Though not at the bar
      >in our motel, where I flummoxed the waitress by ordering a Pernod. I
      >guess Americans don't order Pernod....)

      Ah. The whole Quebec thing is a big issue in Canada. Don't get anyone
      started on "Bill 101" which was the provincial law passed to "protect" the
      French language(and militant can only begin to describe it at
      times). Basically what it meant was, no shop owner (despite their mother
      tongue) could post any signs in any language than French (English was
      particular anathema) and that Quebec anglos became second class citizens
      (with the exception of Montreal - Dragon Dormant).

      Frankly, it's been so bad at times that a group of us were in Quebec city
      and couldn't get served in a McDonalds because we were "Anglos." The
      franco woman who was with us couldn't get served either but got verbally
      abused for lowering herself to hanging out with
      anglos... Sigh. Thankfully, that usually happens in cycles and it's been
      on the mend lately.

      Gwendoline (who grew up 200 yards from the Quebec border and has
      Quebecois/franco god parents...)