Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Accents

  • L Joseph
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 30, 2001
      --- Elizabeth Walpole <ewalpole@...> wrote:
      > Hey what's wrong with calling people Luv, I know non
      > Irish people who call almost everyone luv, pet, dear
      > etc OK so theyre my grandmother and her friends but
      > maybe the 'love' bit isn't actually part of her
      > Irish thing.
      In this case it seems to be part and parcel of this
      person's affectation of what she believes to be
      Irishness. She seems a well meaning sort, but her
      attempts to write with an accent come off badly and
      she ends up sounding rather ridiculous. Anyway, I use
      her as an example of what not to do. I may sprinkle
      notes to Morgan with a French expression or two, but
      that's about it. I know I SPEAK modern French with a
      Middle Atlantic American accent, and rustily at that.

      > One tactic a friend of mine used when traveling in
      > America, if asked to say "G'day Mate" would respond
      > by asking the person in question to say "Howdy
      > Pardner" first.
      Works for me! Try telling people you're from New
      Jersey. "Ah, yes, New JOISee." (Twitch, shudder.) We
      don't all talk like "Goodfellas." (That would be Noo
      Yawkers.)

      Jehanne

      =====
      Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."