Re: possible research changes

  • rowengr@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 29, 2001
      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Christina_Lemke@h... wrote:
      > Better select a cut-off date at a point where it makes sense
      fashion-
      > wise, e.g. when a major fashion change comes in, or when you
      > encounter a period when there is no information or no archeological
      > data.

      Well, there's durn little info on the 16th century at all <G>. (Not
      to say none, however.) I'm focusing largely on the clothing of
      western Scotland, the "Highlands and Islands," if you will - the
      clothing of the Gaelic culture. There is a little more information
      available on the clothing of townswomen, as well that of as noble
      families. I'm touching a little on those, too, at times by way of
      contrast.

      > Early 17th century is not that different from late 16th, there are
      > gradual changes (waistline position etc.). And in rural areas you
      > usually get a delay of several years or even decades until fashion
      > changes sort of filter down.

      Decades indeed.

      > Are you only covering women's garments? I liked the mid-17th century
      > boy's doublet and the late 16th century jack that the Museum of
      > Scotland has. The only women's garments I saw were coifs and
      forehead-
      > cloths, did I miss something? I thought the new building was
      terribly
      > confusing and am sure I must have missed some important item or
      other.

      I think the Museum architect had been looking at too many castles or
      something. <g> It was particulary interesting after having been
      whirled round the building in someone's wake one day to come back the
      following day alone and try to find some of the same locations. (I
      took a tumble down one of those atmospheric stone staircases,
      fortunately mostly bruising my dignity, though I did have some, er,
      colorful bits a few days later.)

      I took pictures, sketches and notes of the jack & the doublet, as well
      as the early 17th c man's coat. (And of the embroidered coif, and some
      details from portraits.) There's a 16th c black silk woman's doublet
      over in the Royal Museum section which I sketched (as photos weren't
      allowed there.) I was running out of time, but I took a few notes on
      the 18th c arasaid as well. Also took down info on that gorgeous
      fringed woolen hood downstairs in the early section. (I may
      extrapolate something off that jack for future reference - it would
      make a great fencing jacket, not that I fence.)

      I plan to cover mainly women's garments at the moment, partly because
      it's an area on which so very little has been done. I'll probably
      cite certain points about men's clothing, though, particularly extant
      garments. (And I have to get the pix I got of the 1599 painted
      ceiling with all the women musicians developed.)

      Rowen