Photos

  • stephen higa
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 27, 2001
      Alright everyone, let's post those pics! We want photos of you in your most
      authentic garb and/or doing the most authentic things and/or in the most
      authentic places! Also, photos you've taken that are blissfully devoid of
      modernity...Send them in e-mail or put them in the "Files" section. We need
      something in the files.

      I realize that some of you would never DREAM of taking a camera to events.
      Humblest apologies for my heresy, in that case. If you are indeed one of
      those, do speak up! I'd greatly admire your standards of authenticity.

      el Dio vos guadre,
      Moshe
      Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers
      menhs en cort que de belh saber
      de trobar -- qu'auzir e vezer
      hi vol hom mais captenhs leugiers
      e critz mesclatz ab dezonor.

      --Guiraut Riquier, 1292
    • stephen higa
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
        Thanks for the posts, Kass! They are SO very inspiring...bravo! Any more
        pics you'd care to put up of your Heian garb? ;)

        Oh, and the saffron thing...drool... :)

        ----------
        >From: "stephen higa" <mitsuo@...>
        >To: Authentic SCA eGroup <Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [Authentic_SCA] Photos
        >Date: Tue, Feb 27, 2001, 12:08 AM
        >

        > Alright everyone, let's post those pics! We want photos of you in your most
        > authentic garb and/or doing the most authentic things and/or in the most
        > authentic places! Also, photos you've taken that are blissfully devoid of
        > modernity...Send them in e-mail or put them in the "Files" section. We need
        > something in the files.
        >
        > I realize that some of you would never DREAM of taking a camera to events.
        > Humblest apologies for my heresy, in that case. If you are indeed one of
        > those, do speak up! I'd greatly admire your standards of authenticity.
        >
        > el Dio vos guadre,
        > Moshe
        > Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers
        > menhs en cort que de belh saber
        > de trobar -- qu'auzir e vezer
        > hi vol hom mais captenhs leugiers
        > e critz mesclatz ab dezonor.
        >
        > --Guiraut Riquier, 1292
        >

        > This is the Authentic SCA eGroup

      • Mark Calderwood
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2001
          >Alright everyone, let's post those pics!

          Ok, Moshe, here's my tuppence ha'penny...I've just uploaded three pics to
          the files of my most authentic scribal work for those who are interested.

          The first is a re-created leaf from a book of hours for the hour of Sext,
          in the style of several French manuscripts of the 1470's, including the
          Grande Hours of Anne of Brittany (1476) and the Hours of Mary of Burgundy
          (1477). The leaf measures 9.8 cm x 10.4 cm.

          The second is an SCA award scroll for a Grant of Arms, based on several
          early 16th century English documents, including the Letters of Credence of
          Cardinal Wolsey (1532), and the Election of Francis I to the Order of the
          Garter (1527), and documents of deed to Beaulieu Abbey (1528). The helm is
          styled after a woodcut Albrecht Durer (1520), and the Pelican is after
          design on a carved German box (1525). The hand is Fraktur script based on
          an example from the Prayerbook of the Emperor Maximilian (1514), and the
          delicate penwork around is cadel capital is typical of English and German
          documents of the time. This scan unfortunately does not do the work
          justice, as it does not pickup the fine detail. The mss mearsures 110cm x
          42cm.

          The third is an award scroll for the Order of the Pelican, based on several
          Flemish mss of the early 16th century (including the Hastings Hours, 1502)
          in the distinctive Ghent-Bruges style of illumination, depicting
          illusionistic flowers and insects on a liquid gold background. Each of the
          flowers was chosen for it's symbolic meaning according to popular period
          practice referring to the Flemish spiritual movement called devotio
          moderna. The mss measures 15.3 cm x 10.5 cm; the letters are 3mm high.

          These mss were done on archival quality imitation vellum (real vellum is
          currently unobtainable in Australia), written with carbon ink and quills,
          illuminated with 23 carat gold leaf and period mineral pigments, basically
          they were as authentic as I could make them.

          cheers
          Giles
        • stephen higa
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2001
            Oh, those are simply beautiful! you, sir have a fine hand (and an excellent
            eye for the medieval style).

            Yes, I should've added that we also want things you've created in a medieval
            style.