Fwd: Once More

  • L Joseph
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2001
      Greetings,

      Lady Ana Ravaya de Guzman (Ostgardr, East Kingdom) has
      asked that I forward her latest poem to your
      respective lists. You may contact Lady Ana at
      troubledour@... with your comments.

      Many thanks,
      Jehanne de Wodeford, Rusted Woodlands (EAST)
      --- Ana Areces <troubledour@...> wrote:
      > Once More
      >
      > Once more I hear the heralds cry that war has been
      > declared.
      > Once more the women wonder if their menfolk will be
      > spared.
      > Once more they muster, duty-called, to shirk none
      > would have dared.
      > The fathers, husbands, sons and sweethearts march a
      > rhythm shared.
      >
      > Is it for God and country or to bring a tryant down?
      > Or are they pawns of chess played out to mask
      > mistakes well known?
      > Rodrigo, Rey de Espanna took the daughter of a
      > count.
      > Avenging her the Moors and Julian had him
      > overthrown.
      >
      > A citadel has fallen midst a fiery crash and din,
      > And clerics East and West now do exhort their kith
      > and kin.
      > And one madman doth think himself a second Saladin,
      > While Hagar, Mary and Sarah weep silently within.
      >
      > And we their daughters know too well the reasons why
      > you go,
      > We know full well our grief and fear, and we shall
      > miss you so.
      > Comport yourselves with honor as you march to meet
      > the foe.
      > Once more we pray your safe return, heads high and
      > not brought low.
      >
      > revised by Ana Ravaya de Guzman, X October AS XXXVI
      > (Written in cuaderna via--or mester de clerecia)

      =====
      Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

      http://personals.yahoo.com