RE: [Authentic_SCA] Re: hamburgers - source maybe

  • Jeff Gedney
    Message 1 of 318 , Oct 1, 2001
      On Monday, October 01, 2001 1:18 PM, Cynthia Virtue
      [SMTP:cvirtue@...] wrote:
      > Although there are some terribly modern things that can be reliably
      > back-documented. Master Wulfric, the Mad Baker of the Mists, has
      > recipies which reproduce Pop Tarts fairly accurately. He did it as a
      > lark, but the times I've heard him on the subject, the documentation is
      reliable.

      Ah, Yes! Cuskynowles...
      Mmmmmm.....

      Although even there you'll find differences in interpretation.
      I recall a very long and technical debate on the cooks list between Master
      Adamantius and HG Cariadoc regarding that very topic.

      That should be a lesson to us about this topic.
      Even though the various recipes for cuskynowles show an unusual amount of
      conformity, still the final dishes appearance and even taste can vary so
      widely with different cooks that they may seem completely different dishes.
      The difference between what are essentially "pop-tarts" verses a kind of
      fruit-filled ravioli being one direct case in point.

      Any recipe's semblance to a modern dish may be more an product of the
      RECREATOR more than it might be a consequence of the RECREATION.

      You should take any blanket claim "this recipe proves that <some modern
      dish> is period" with a serious grain of salt.
      Chances are very good that another cook could take the same recipe and make
      it just as accurately, and still completely different in appearance or
      method.

      Elias Gedney
      Studium doscendi volutate quae cogi non potest constat.
    • Jenn
      Message 318 of 318 , Feb 25, 2005
        JoAnna: My hubby had RK & he stayed awake the first night because he
        could actually SEE the clock! Ælfgifu who is looking into getting
        contact lenses for events, but who will be wearing TRIFOCALS under
        normal circumstances!