Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: hamburgers - source maybe

  • Ariane Helou
    Message 1 of 318 , Oct 1, 2001
      At 02:47 PM 10/1/01 +0000, you wrote:
      >How about a banana split as dessert?
      >"They" had ice cream, fruit, cream, chopped nuts .... and they had
      >BANANAS:
      >http://www.museum-london.org.uk/MOLsite/forum/lbc4.html
      >(This is not a joke, the "Tudor banana" was on show at the MoL)

      They had ice cream? Was it, like, with cream, or just fruit ice (like a
      sorbet)? When did it first appear?
      This is pure conjecture, but I thought that sorbet/granita/fruit ice,
      whatever you call it, showed up around the end of the 16th c, but cream- or
      custard-based ice creams weren't eaten until the 17th or 18th. But I'm
      just guessing. Anyone got a source for this? Ice cream is one of my
      favorite things in the world, and I would jump at the chance to bring some
      to an event! Yum :-)

      Vittoria
      who should really not be thinking about ice cream before breakfast
    • Jenn
      Message 318 of 318 , Feb 25, 2005
        JoAnna: My hubby had RK & he stayed awake the first night because he
        could actually SEE the clock! Ælfgifu who is looking into getting
        contact lenses for events, but who will be wearing TRIFOCALS under
        normal circumstances!