Re: Theology help

  • Christina_Lemke@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 1, 2001
      Hi Brynn,

      when you are looking at older translations (into Middle English,
      Early Modern English, Early Modern German etc.) you must be aware
      that the meaning of the words in the target language may have changed
      over the centuries. Don't fall into the "New Criticism trap"!

      Is there a specific passage you are looking at, or whose meaning you
      want to investigate? Then your best starting point would be the
      original text (Hebrew or Greek) compared in the oldest extant
      manuscripts, plus an extensively annotated translation by an
      excellent modern translator. Then compare with the Bishop's Bible,
      Geneva Bible, etc.

      Are you interested mostly in translations into English or would you
      also be interested e.g. in Martin Luther's translation into German?
      Although Luther's translation has been reworked and more modern
      German translations exist, certain passages (e.g. Psalm 23) are kept
      in Luther's translation in modern German Bibles (the Protestant ones
      only, of course - the Catholic Bible is different). These passages
      are usually formatted differently, e.g. in italic.

      Best regards,

      Christina

    • s_krasley@recordtrak.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 2, 2001
        Thanks Christina, I'll remember that as I start my translations.
        Maybe what I will wind up doing is several translation from different
        sources to see how they differ.

        - Brynn