What's NESAT? was Re: documentation for A&S?

  • loom@verizon.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 30, 2001
      First try interlibrary loan. You can order them from Oxbow books.
      The list is on the web including articles in them. I rely on them
      for my textile research. Some of them are a good primary sourse for
      garb info. Vol 1 & 2 are not available, but all the others can be
      bought. It will take time, patients, and phone calls. I managed to
      get 3-6 in about a year and a half.

      Cassandra

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • rbrune@fusient.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2001
        Awesome!! Thanks a million. =-D
        Unfortunately I neither weave nor spin, knitting being my primary way
        of creating textiles, but I've wanted to try spinning for a while,
        this looks like a good place to start.

        -Teresa

        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., loom@v... wrote:
        > Dear, sweet Teresa,
        >
        > Northern European Symposium on Archaeological Textiles (NESAT). I
        > hope you are a textile fanatic. There are plenty of pictures in
        > these articles. In fact for a weaver and spinner, these are great
        > primary sources. There is also some clothing info, but not as
        much.
        > One article served as my inspiration to weave an Irish Brat.
        >
        > Cassandra
        >
        > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., rbrune@f... wrote:
        > > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., loom@v... wrote:
        > >
        > > > Cassandra who really needs to learn German so she can read all
        > the
        > > > articles in NESAT
        > >
        > > I can do German! What's NESAT?? Does it have pictures?!
        > >
        > > -Teresa (excited about a new resource. . .)
      • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2001
          At 12:30 PM 9/29/2001 +0000, you wrote:
          This question is for people who do research on cultures in whic they
          don't speak the language.  Is it normally acceptable to use published
          English translations of primary sources written in another langauge?

          I do this, but I don't like to.  I prefer to get a dictionary and do a translation of the materials myself.

          Smiles,
          Despina

        • Jeff Gedney
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2001
            On Saturday, September 29, 2001 8:31 AM, andrea@...
            [SMTP:andrea@...] wrote:
            > This question is for people who do research on cultures in whic they
            > don't speak the language. Is it normally acceptable to use published
            > English translations of primary sources written in another langauge?
            > Giovanna

            As long as you acknowlegde that it is no longer a primary source (unless
            you include the original).
            It is now secondary.
            Translation requires interpretation, and early languages in particular may
            have mutated such that translations may not convey the original intent of
            the author.

            Elias Gedney
            Studium doscendi volutate quae cogi non potest constat.
          • William Harrington
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 1, 2001

              "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" wrote:

              At 12:30 PM 9/29/2001 +0000, you wrote:
              This question is for people who do research on cultures in whic they
              don't speak the language.  Is it normally acceptable to use published
              English translations of primary sources written in another langauge?

              I do this, but I don't like to.  I prefer to get a dictionary and do a translation of the materials myself.

              Smiles,
              Despina

              I admire you for doing this and I still want a Tibetan English dictionary so that
              I could do the same, but (very big but) wouldn't this just create a literal translation that likely lacks the subtlety of meaning that familiarity with the language brings?  I mean, if you had to translate English, you would prabably run into a lot of trouble trying to translate the meaning of idioms such as "hole in one" or "bad apple" or.... well, you get the idea.  I would think that a translation or two a long side the original language would be a necessity for doing this kind of primary research unless you are familiar enough with the language that you dont need a dictionary.

              Dorje

            • Ariane Helou
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 1, 2001
                At 06:33 PM 10/1/01 -0700, you wrote:
                > I do this, but I don't like to. I prefer to get a dictionary and do a
                > translation of the materials myself.
                >>
                >>Smiles,
                >>Despina
                >>
                >I admire you for doing this and I still want a Tibetan English dictionary
                >so that
                >I could do the same, but (very big but) wouldn't this just create a
                >literal translation that likely lacks the subtlety of meaning that
                >familiarity with the language brings?
                >Dorje

                I gotta agree with Dorje here :-)

                Idioms can certainly be difficult to translate, but keep in mind also that
                not all dictionaries give explanations of grammar and syntax. (Most good
                ones do, but many also presuppose some knowledge about noun declensions and
                verb conjugations; ie, they may simply give the forms for genitive and
                dative without explaining what they mean.)

                I'm a language geek, but I still don't always trust the dictionary by
                itself if I don't know the grammar of a language. German, for example; I
                know a few words, but I usually have to make a wild guess at
                syntax. Having the German original, a dictionary, AND an English
                translation means I can double-check on word definitions, and that I don't
                have to worry about figuring out the sentence structure. (This is a real
                example, btw; last year I was in a production of "The Magic Flute," all in
                German, but the only translation our director provided us was this silly
                rhyming business stuffed with "thees" and "thous"...it had *nothing* to do
                with what the characters were really saying!!)

                Producing your own translation is a great idea, but unless it's a language
                you know well, I would still recommend having a published translation (as
                modern a one as possible), or a translation by a friend fluent in the
                language in question, alongside the original just to double-check everything.

                And speaking of translations, my Latin homework is calling me...

                valete!

                Vittoria