Fwd: You are invited

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2001
      Forwarded as per request.

      This invitation has been sent to SCA Chivalry, Ealdormere, Calontir,
      Northshield,
      Middlebridge, and Outlands lists; please feel free to send it to other
      SCA lists.

        Starting this Sunday, On Sunday, September 30, I will begin a
        discussion of Charny's Questions.   It will take place on the
      Tournament Companies
        list hosted at www.topica.com.

        Geoffroi de Charny composed a series of questions on
        the joust, the tourney, and war in about 1350 for King
        John of France's Order of the Star.

         The questions give us some idea of the actual conduct
        of jousts and tourneys in Charny's time.   They were
        presented to knights for their commentary and
        edification.   On the other hand, the questions have
        no answers!

        I think that a bunch of intelligent,
        interested people discussing the questions, as they
        were meant to be discussed, might expose some
        interesting aspects of the material.   I know that in
        the few discussions I've had to date, I've always come
        away learning something new.

        The format will be simple: I will post one or more
        questions, in my translation, to the list, whoever
        wants to take a crack at answering them and explaining
        his/her answer will do so, and when conversation on
        that topic reaches the logical point, we'll move on to
        the next question.

        If you are interested in taking part, you must sign up for the
      Tournament
        Companies (or TourneyCompanies) list hosted at www.topica.com.
       Go to that site and sign on -- it's very easy.

      Finnvarr

        --
      "But as for the order of chivalry, it can truly be said...
      that it is the most dangerous for soul and body, and the
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2001
        Doe anyone have a more direct URL to this? I can't seem to find the
        Tournament Companies page. If done well, it could be interesting to read
        - may get ideas for persona stuff and little debates.

        All the best,

        Marianne

        "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" wrote:

        >> This invitation has been sent to SCA Chivalry, Ealdormere, Calontir,
        >>
        >> Northshield,
        >> Middlebridge, and Outlands lists; please feel free to send it to
        >> other
        >> SCA lists.
        >>
        >> Starting this Sunday, On Sunday, September 30, I will begin a
        >> discussion of Charny's Questions. It will take place on the
        >> Tournament Companies
        >> list hosted at www.topica.com.

      • Steven Proctor
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2001
          Go to http://www.topica.com/lists/TourneyCompanies/

          They're on questions 5-7 at the moment, but all the previous discussion
          is in the archive. It's not a lot to slog through in terms of the de
          Charnay questions.

          Ta

          Morgan

          Marianne Perdomo Machin wrote:

          > Doe anyone have a more direct URL to this? I can't seem to find the
          > Tournament Companies page. If done well, it could be interesting to
          > read
          > - may get ideas for persona stuff and little debates.
          >
          > All the best,
          >

          > Marianne
          >
          > "Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil" wrote:
          >
          > >> This invitation has been sent to SCA Chivalry, Ealdormere,
          > Calontir,
          > >>
          > >> Northshield,
          > >> Middlebridge, and Outlands lists; please feel free to send it to
          > >> other
          > >> SCA lists.
          > >>
          > >> Starting this Sunday, On Sunday, September 30, I will begin a
          > >> discussion of Charny's Questions. It will take place on the
          > >> Tournament Companies
          > >> list hosted at www.topica.com.

          --
          My first night with Anastasia was the kind of magical, passionate ride
          that left me with my pants on the back of the kitchen chair, my