Re: [Authentic_SCA] Matthew Paris, was Short vs. Long tunics

  • Sarah Michele Ford
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 27, 2001
      On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, L Joseph wrote:
      > I hate to tell you this, Alianor, but guess what?
      > "Fencing" isn't period for him. ;->

      Fencing per se, no. BUT it was illegal for Jews to wear armor. AND there
      are at least two instances of Jews being killed/involved in
      duels. Fighting with swords while not wearing armor = almost
      fencing. Also, there's no way a person would make a pilgrimage
      ANYWHERE unarmed. That'd just be dumb. So he doesn't fence, he
      kills people with swords while not wearing armor. (Hey,
      he's doing better at getting a way for his persona to fence than I am!)

      <snip>

      > Here's a thought. How about a surcoat he can wear over
      > either a modern fencing jacket or quilted gambeson? If
      > you cut the surcoat so it falls to just below the
      > knee, he should still be able to move reasonably well.

      That's sorta what he has now, but let me tell you, modern fencing jackets
      don't breathe for squat. A couple of layers of linen is much nicer. I'm
      finding some interesting things in the Life of King Edward manuscript -
      people in servant-type positions seem to be wearing short/3/4 length
      tunics a lot of th time, which would work out well for hsi persona.

      Alianor

      Sarah Michele Ford
      aka Alianor of Ravenglass
      aka the Dark Melm of Sith