Cloaks in Tudor times

  • Lisa
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2001
      Okay folks - time to bug you with another question.

      I am toying with the idea of attending the next Coronation in
      Drachenwald, which will be at Caerphilly Castle, just down the road
      from my mum.

      Thing is, it's in January! It's going to be cold!

      I have lots of yummy chocolate brown velvet which I think could be a
      court gown ensemble, and some soft russet wool which I could use for
      a middle class ensemble at other times. What I am thinking of is what
      to use for a cloak.

      I have a heavy russet wool cloak which is actually M&S 1970's from my
      LARP days. It has a button on hood, and open slits for hands, but I
      THINK it could be adapted. Trouble is, I haven't found much in the
      way of sources for female outergarments from the time period I'm
      thinking of (c. 1540 for the middle class, perhaps slightly earlier
      for the court gown) to know what to do with it. Ideally I'd like to
      keep it as generic as possible, so I can use it for early period
      stuff too (it's a brilliantly warm cloak).

      Help! Any suggestions?

      Lisa