Intro

  • Brigit
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 16 10:41 AM
      I am a early 10th c woman from Ireland, near Limerick, married to a Norse
      Viking... er, merchant from the same time. I received the Order of the
      Laurel in AS XXVII in Trimaris for weaving, and the Pelican a few years ago
      (for chirurgeon stuff) in Meridies.

      I thank Cassandra for cross posting her spinning/brat question to the SCA
      Weavers list so I could learn of this list. Hopefully, I can contribute a
      bit, and learn more (being, I fear, dreadfully un-knowledgeable about my
      own (Irish) culture since most of my research went to my adopted (Viking)
      culture.

      Brigit Olesdottir, OL, OP
      Meridies
      (typing without contacts.... please forgive any typos)
    • wodeford@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 16 5:43 PM
        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Brigit <brigit55@b...> wrote:
        Welcome, Brigit, to the madhouse that is this list. You will find
        that debates can get downright, er, spirited, yes, spirited is good!
        Right, gang? ;->

        Jehanne
      • loom@verizon.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 16 6:07 PM
          Glad to help out :) Thx for your comments.

          Cassandra

        • s_krasley@recordtrak.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 17 10:49 AM
            Welcome to our insanity.
            Good luck with reseasching the early Irish, and please share any info
            you find. I have personally seen most of the extant Irish textiles,
            exception was the Mantel of St. Brigit. In fact most of the Medieval
            textiles in the National Museum of Ireland are from the Vikings.
            However they did have many other nice items one could research, like
            jewelery. Or anything else that could servive a Bog or burial in a
            very wet climate.
            Now I know who else to ask questions of when and if I ever try
            weaving.

            - Brynn

            --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Brigit <brigit55@b...> wrote:
            > I am a early 10th c woman from Ireland, near Limerick, married to a
            Norse
            > Viking... er, merchant from the same time. I received the Order of
            the
            > Laurel in AS XXVII in Trimaris for weaving, and the Pelican a few
            years ago
            > (for chirurgeon stuff) in Meridies.
            >
            > I thank Cassandra for cross posting her spinning/brat question to
            the SCA
            > Weavers list so I could learn of this list. Hopefully, I can
            contribute a
            > bit, and learn more (being, I fear, dreadfully un-knowledgeable
            about my
            > own (Irish) culture since most of my research went to my adopted
            (Viking)
            > culture.
            >
            > Brigit Olesdottir, OL, OP
            > Meridies
            > (typing without contacts.... please forgive any typos)
          • Sarah Grochoski
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 28, 2002
              Hello!  I am Medb ingen Adomnain, from the incipient Canton of Sarum Tor, Barony of Sacred Stone, Atlantia.  Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.  I am early period Irish, but I hop in the fashion time machine a lot...

              In Service,

              Medb
            • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 28, 2002
                At 11:09 AM 3/28/2002 -0500, you wrote:
                >Hello! I am Medb ingen Adomnain, from the incipient Canton of Sarum Tor,
                >Barony of Sacred Stone, Atlantia. Just wanted to say hello and introduce
                >myself. I am early period Irish, but I hop in the fashion time machine a
                >lot...
                >
                >In Service,
                >
                >Medb

                Welcome to the list! We're happy to have you here. Please, ask questions,
                jump into discussions and begin general mayhem. We like that sort of
                thing. *grin*

                Smiles,
                Despina
              • L Joseph
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 28, 2002
                  --- Sarah Grochoski <grochosk@...> wrote:
                  > Hello! I am Medb ingen Adomnain, from the incipient
                  > Canton of Sarum Tor, Barony of Sacred Stone,
                  > Atlantia. Just wanted to say hello and introduce
                  > myself. I am early period Irish, but I hop in the
                  > fashion time machine a lot...

                  Greetings!

                  Are you familiar with Kass McGann's website? She's now
                  hosting Mara Riley's "Clothing of the Ancient Celts"
                  as well as having a number of articles on Irish dress.

                  http://www.reconstructinghistory.com

                  Jehanne de Wodeford, Danegeld Tor, West

                  =====
                  Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

                  Yahoo! Movies - coverage of the 74th Academy Awards´┐Ż
                  http://movies.yahoo.com/
                • Sarah Grochoski
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 28, 2002
                    Aye, I am. :) I am in the process of saving up for a copy of McClintock's
                    Old Irish and Highland Dress, a glass grinder for stained glass, and armor!

                    Medb
                    > Are you familiar with Kass McGann's website? She's now
                    > hosting Mara Riley's "Clothing of the Ancient Celts"
                    > as well as having a number of articles on Irish dress.
                    >
                    > http://www.reconstructinghistory.com
                    >
                    > Jehanne de Wodeford, Danegeld Tor, West
                    >
                    > =====
                    > "I do but sing because I must, And pipe but as the linnets sing."
                    > Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

                  • rowen_g
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 28, 2002
                      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Sarah Grochoski" <grochosk@b...> wrote:
                      > Aye, I am. :) I am in the process of saving up for a copy of
                      McClintock's
                      > Old Irish and Highland Dress,

                      You're probably familar with the reprint copies these folk are
                      selling:

                      http://www.scotpress.com/

                      Mairead Dunlevy's "Dress in Ireland" is pretty good, too, although
                      better for late than early.

                      Failte oraibh. :) (Welcome on you - Scots Gaelic version.)

                      Rowen
                    • Sarah Grochoski
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 28, 2002
                        I am. That's who I will get it from when I do get it. I had ILL'd that and
                        the Dunleavy at the same time, and I liked McClintock's better... For right
                        now, though, I am trying to call things up from memory... Too bad about
                        pesky mundane things like bills and rent...

                        Medb

                        > Aye, I am. :) I am in the process of saving up for a copy of
                        McClintock's
                        > Old Irish and Highland Dress,

                        You're probably familar with the reprint copies these folk are
                        selling:

                        http://www.scotpress.com/

                        Mairead Dunlevy's "Dress in Ireland" is pretty good, too, although
                        better for late than early.

                        Failte oraibh. :) (Welcome on you - Scots Gaelic version.)

                        Rowen

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • rowen_g
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 28, 2002
                          --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Sarah Grochoski" <grochosk@b...> wrote:
                          > I am. That's who I will get it from when I do get it. I had ILL'd
                          that and
                          > the Dunleavy at the same time, and I liked McClintock's better...
                          For right
                          > now, though, I am trying to call things up from memory...

                          Well, if you have specific questions, feel free to ask. (I'm
                          probably not the only one here with a copy at home. ;)

                          >Too bad about pesky mundane things like bills and rent...

                          Curtailing our book-buying habits and all - we hatesss them, we
                          doesss... <G>

                          Rowen
                        • Carolle M Cox
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 29, 2002
                            Welcome Medb!! I'm Gerita, a Venetian merchant's wife of the early 16th
                            Century. I'm a fourth daughter, as evidenced by my father's willingness to
                            wed me to a man who may have a touch of Jewish blood, but withal has lots of
                            money and connections.

                            IRL, i live in the Canton of Glaslyn (Flower Mound), Barony of The Steppes
                            (Dallas), Kingdom of Ansteorra (most of Texas, some of Oklahoma).

                            Gerita Delmar
                          • ranvaig@columbus.rr.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 1, 2002
                              >You're probably familar with the reprint copies these folk are selling:
                              >
                              >http://www.scotpress.com/

                              I also found these on their site:

                              On Highland Dyeing and Colouring of Native-made Tartan. By R. C.
                              MacLagan. 24pp. pb. The Celts were master dyers, using what nature
                              provided to produce colors spanning the rainbow. How they secured
                              those colors is the subject of this extended essay, which looks at
                              the colors and the plants and other ingredients which they used to
                              produce their dyes. $2.95

                              Sewing for Vikings: Kythryn's Complete Viking Outfitter. By K. L.
                              Eubanks. 39pp. pb. New format. This is a complete guide to the
                              sewing of garb for women and men wearing Viking attire of the
                              9th-12th centuries. It discusses and includes patterns for the
                              underdress or smock, the overdress, the apron, caftan, and peplos for
                              women; and the tunic and trews for men. The patterns are such that
                              they can be adjusted for different sizes. Absolutely the correct
                              attire at Scottish Games for all those great Scottish families of
                              Norse descent! $4.95

                              Notes on Scottish Costume in the Fifteenth Century. By Robert
                              Brydall. 1900. 26 pages. By the very nature of things, we know much
                              more about the dress of the upper class in Scotland than about the
                              dress of anyone else in the region. This is a survey not only of the
                              feudal lords and ladies of
                              late medieval Scotland, but also of the other classes to the extent
                              that we can know them. It provides
                              illustrations, whenever possible, and thus provides clues to the
                              reenactors and others. $4.95 (photocopy)

                              Early Textiles Found in Scotland. By A. S. Henshall. 68 pages. This
                              is a rich collection of information on textiles and weaving, both
                              domestic and imported, from the Roman period through the late
                              middle ages. Included are a detailed examination of cloth, with
                              weaving patterns; patterns for clothing; examples of shirts, hoods,
                              booties, coats, breeches, jackets; discussions not only of how the
                              cloth is made into clothing, but also how it is woven; with examples
                              of brocades, tweeds, and a wide variety of related embroideries.
                              $10.25 (photocopy)

                              Notes on the Spinning Gear of Former Times. By D. R. Rankin. 1877. 4
                              pages. This is a
                              discussion of spinning gear, particularly distaff or rocks, spindles
                              with whorls, and reels-in this case presented to the Society of
                              Antiquaries of Scotland and dating, seemingly, from the 18th century.
                              Its chief value is in understanding the evolution of spinning in
                              Scotland. $4.95 (photocopy)

                              Textiles and Weaving Appliances in Prehistoric Britain. By Audrey
                              Henshall. 1950. 35 pages. An examination of Bronze age textiles in
                              the British Isles, discussing the surviving woven textiles; evidence
                              of spinning and weaving techniques; a review of weaving appliances
                              such as spindle whorls; an unusual look at tablet weaving; and
                              finally, evidence of basketry and allied fabrics. Included are
                              weaving patterns for
                              identifiable types of cloth. $5.25 (photocopy)

                              Textiles from a Viking Grave on the Isle of Eigg. By Grace Crowfoot.
                              6 pages. This is a study
                              of a Viking burial from which portions of a cloak have survived. It
                              provides valuable information on the
                              dress of a warrior farmer and on the cloak in which he was buried.
                              $4.95 (photocopy)

                              Two Textiles from the National Museum, Edinburgh. By Grace Crowfoot.
                              8 pages. This is a detailed examination and discussion of the
                              Balmaclellan diamond twill and of the Falkirk tartan, the former an
                              undated Celtic fragment and the latter a 3rd-century tartan cloth for
                              which a thread count is provided. $4.95

                              The price is attractive, has anyone seen these? Are they worth
                              ordering? Three of the textile books are out of our period, but
                              still interesting.
                              Ranvaig
                              --
                            • MarshaMclean
                              Message 14 of 14 , Apr 2, 2002
                                Welcome (if late)!  I started in the SCA as very early Irish.  I very quickly changed to late Elizabethan Irish.  You WILL be assimilated.

                                Madinia