Re: [Authentic_SCA] hope

  • Brighid the-short-blonde-Scot
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 26, 2001

      Now, on a different subject: I've heard about something called "Enchanted Ground," where a small area of an event site is separated from the rest, and within that small circle, the 20th (well, I guess 21st now) century no longer exists.  Everyone must be in persona and in period at all times.  It sounds really fun, and I was wondering whether anyone here has tried it, and with how much success?  Moshe and I and another lady are hoping to try it out at our Crown tourney in March.  Hopefully it'll go well! :)

      I, for one, would eventually very much like to try enchanted ground for a Pennsic. Who knows, I might try more, I might really like it. I've shyed away from it, admittedly, because I'm a poor college kid and I simply can't afford to have every single last little detail period. I can't afford to make a period tent; I'm stuck with my $50 nylon dome tent because it was on sale. Plus I have a very small 2-door Saturn and I can barely fit our viking chairs and sheet wall posts in, I don't have a clue how I would work in a period tent into my current vehicle (even though I'm just dying for a yurt!!).

      Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Would I truely need to have every single last detail period, or could I say make a covering for my tent and hide my mundanities away from the watchful eye? Is it more important that everything be documentable and period to my persona (like Civil War reinactment strictness), or is it more important that people have fun with their persona?

      Brighid
      Intregued, but not sure she can do it.
    • Bob Davis
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 26, 2001
        > Brighid the-short-blonde-Scot wrote:
        >

        > Now, on a different subject: I've heard about something called
        > "Enchanted Ground," where a small area of an event site is separated
        > from the rest, and within that small circle, the 20th (well, I guess
        > 21st now) century no longer exists. Everyone must be in persona and
        > in period at all times. It sounds really fun, and I was wondering
        > whether anyone here has tried it, and with how much success? Moshe
        > and I and another lady are hoping to try it out at our Crown tourney
        > in March. Hopefully it'll go well! :)
        > >>

        > I, for one, would eventually very much like to try enchanted ground
        > for a Pennsic. Who knows, I might try more, I might really like it.
        > I've shyed away from it, admittedly, because I'm a poor college kid
        > and I simply can't afford to have every single last little detail
        > period. I can't afford to make a period tent; I'm stuck with my $50
        > nylon dome tent because it was on sale. Plus I have a very small
        > 2-door Saturn and I can barely fit our viking chairs and sheet wall
        > posts in, I don't have a clue how I would work in a period tent into
        > my current vehicle (even though I'm just dying for a yurt!!).
        >
        > Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Would I truely need to
        > have every single last detail period, or could I say make a covering
        > for my tent and hide my mundanities away from the watchful eye? Is it
        > more important that everything be documentable and period to my
        > persona (like Civil War reinactment strictness), or is it more
        > important that people have fun with their persona?

        You can have an enchanted ground anywhere you like. Doesn't have to be
        a "spot-the-OOP-thingy-and-get-a-prize" level setup.

        It can be a campfire, where the ground pimples and green dining flies
        cannot clearly be seen.

        It can be a table setting at feast, candles and lanterns lighting your
        conversation.

        It can be a complete, down-to-the-last-tent-peg authentic campsite.

        For me, it can be removing my corrective lenses. Does wonders to blur
        the modern world. ;-)

        Do what you can. Creep up on authenticity, else it will burn you. If
        you try to get every last detail correct before you begin, you will get
        royally sick of the whole affair, and give up. That's what I did when I
        first started dressing in funny clothes on weekends; I played a few
        weekends with a AmCivWar artillery battery, and they insisted I get a
        full kit before I began. Disheartened (because I was broke; you think
        *SCA* stuff is expensive!), I gave up until several years and several
        states later, when a friend introduced me to the SCA.

        While we often call it reenactment or re-creation, fiction writers call
        what we do in the SCA "willful suspension of disbelief." You can
        suspend your disbelief with suprisingly little outlay in cash, work, or
        gear. Just takes the right mindset.

        Tell me again where you are, in the Real and Known Worlds. We can
        perhaps have an experiment or two.

        Pax,

        -Robert fitz Thomas
      • Greg Williams
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 26, 2001
          M'Lady,

          I can only speak for my household as others treat the
          Enchanted Ground concept in different ways. On board
          the Akula (we are a viking house based around a
          drakkar) the evening meal on Saturday of an event is
          the time when the 21st century fades the furthest into
          the background. It starts with our food. We try to
          make it as period as possible within the constraints
          of budget and the talents of that weekend's head cook.
          The conversations revolve around the days activities
          and what de ads were done by which member of the crew.
          After the meal is done and we relax around the fire
          it is time for the entertainment. If we have had a
          guest for dinner then they are asked to tell us a
          story, recite a poem or sing a song in return for the
          hospitality received (this is only requested and they
          may decline if they wish). If we have did not have
          the pleasure of good company, then the bardic falls
          upon one of the crew. As we are all hams at heart,
          there is usually a mad scramble to be first.

          The Enchanted Ground is a wonderful idea and it can be
          accomplished with very little effort. It also doesn't
          take a household to achieve it either, just one person
          deciding that they are only going to behave in as
          period a way as they can.

          Give it a shot and I hope that you achieve what ever
          level you are most comfortable with.

          Gotfred Genja
          Drakkar Akula

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/