Re: [Authentic_SCA] hope

  • C&L Olson
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 26 3:58 PM
      Kass writes:

      > I hope everyone on the list is enjoying this conversation as much as I am.
      > It's really interesting and cool to find other people of like mind. And I
      > hope if anyone is offended that they would speak up. I know no one on
      this
      > list would intentionally offend anyone. =)

      I think the discussion is great.

      I agree with Brighid that this is a free country and it is presumptive to
      request that people remove items. I guess my main thought is that people
      need to realize that these are being worn as a modern person, nothing a
      person's persona would have worn.

      I also agree with Robert that the problem is not people wearing OOP
      religious symbols it is when they try to convince others (with no research
      other than a book or two from Barnes & Noble) that those OOP symbols are
      really historically accurate, and then put down those who portray
      historically accurate religious persona's different from their own modern
      beliefs.

      A couple of people I know have tried to get the people that have these
      attitudes to research the types of non Catholic religions that would have
      still been in existence. By the mid 700's there were still large areas of
      what is now Germany that were not converted to Catholicism or who had paid
      lip service while the missionaries were there and then immediately reverted
      to their prior religion when they quit bothering them. A persona of this
      time and period may well have worshipped some of the Norse gods. In fact St
      Boniface was killed in 755 by an uprising of "heathens". He was well known
      for his conversion tactic of chopping down and burning a tree sacred to
      Thor and daring Thor to do something about it. When nothing happened some
      of the people decided his God must be even tougher than Thor.
      I guess some of them must have gotten tired of his tactics, and decided to
      keep their forests intact. : )

      Maybe encouraging those who disparage to pursue real research in what non
      catholic deities a persona would have worshipped would be a way to go. I
      guess I feel if I can find something a person is fired up about and can
      encourage research on it, it can sometimes be worth it.

      Sorry this has gotten so long, it is an area of discussion of interest to me
      and I can sometimes let me typing ramble on.

      Kateline
    • Brighid the-short-blonde-Scot
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 26 5:17 PM

        Now, on a different subject: I've heard about something called "Enchanted Ground," where a small area of an event site is separated from the rest, and within that small circle, the 20th (well, I guess 21st now) century no longer exists.  Everyone must be in persona and in period at all times.  It sounds really fun, and I was wondering whether anyone here has tried it, and with how much success?  Moshe and I and another lady are hoping to try it out at our Crown tourney in March.  Hopefully it'll go well! :)

        I, for one, would eventually very much like to try enchanted ground for a Pennsic. Who knows, I might try more, I might really like it. I've shyed away from it, admittedly, because I'm a poor college kid and I simply can't afford to have every single last little detail period. I can't afford to make a period tent; I'm stuck with my $50 nylon dome tent because it was on sale. Plus I have a very small 2-door Saturn and I can barely fit our viking chairs and sheet wall posts in, I don't have a clue how I would work in a period tent into my current vehicle (even though I'm just dying for a yurt!!).

        Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Would I truely need to have every single last detail period, or could I say make a covering for my tent and hide my mundanities away from the watchful eye? Is it more important that everything be documentable and period to my persona (like Civil War reinactment strictness), or is it more important that people have fun with their persona?

        Brighid
        Intregued, but not sure she can do it.
      • Bob Davis
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 26 5:58 PM
          > Brighid the-short-blonde-Scot wrote:
          >

          > Now, on a different subject: I've heard about something called
          > "Enchanted Ground," where a small area of an event site is separated
          > from the rest, and within that small circle, the 20th (well, I guess
          > 21st now) century no longer exists. Everyone must be in persona and
          > in period at all times. It sounds really fun, and I was wondering
          > whether anyone here has tried it, and with how much success? Moshe
          > and I and another lady are hoping to try it out at our Crown tourney
          > in March. Hopefully it'll go well! :)
          > >>

          > I, for one, would eventually very much like to try enchanted ground
          > for a Pennsic. Who knows, I might try more, I might really like it.
          > I've shyed away from it, admittedly, because I'm a poor college kid
          > and I simply can't afford to have every single last little detail
          > period. I can't afford to make a period tent; I'm stuck with my $50
          > nylon dome tent because it was on sale. Plus I have a very small
          > 2-door Saturn and I can barely fit our viking chairs and sheet wall
          > posts in, I don't have a clue how I would work in a period tent into
          > my current vehicle (even though I'm just dying for a yurt!!).
          >
          > Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Would I truely need to
          > have every single last detail period, or could I say make a covering
          > for my tent and hide my mundanities away from the watchful eye? Is it
          > more important that everything be documentable and period to my
          > persona (like Civil War reinactment strictness), or is it more
          > important that people have fun with their persona?

          You can have an enchanted ground anywhere you like. Doesn't have to be
          a "spot-the-OOP-thingy-and-get-a-prize" level setup.

          It can be a campfire, where the ground pimples and green dining flies
          cannot clearly be seen.

          It can be a table setting at feast, candles and lanterns lighting your
          conversation.

          It can be a complete, down-to-the-last-tent-peg authentic campsite.

          For me, it can be removing my corrective lenses. Does wonders to blur
          the modern world. ;-)

          Do what you can. Creep up on authenticity, else it will burn you. If
          you try to get every last detail correct before you begin, you will get
          royally sick of the whole affair, and give up. That's what I did when I
          first started dressing in funny clothes on weekends; I played a few
          weekends with a AmCivWar artillery battery, and they insisted I get a
          full kit before I began. Disheartened (because I was broke; you think
          *SCA* stuff is expensive!), I gave up until several years and several
          states later, when a friend introduced me to the SCA.

          While we often call it reenactment or re-creation, fiction writers call
          what we do in the SCA "willful suspension of disbelief." You can
          suspend your disbelief with suprisingly little outlay in cash, work, or
          gear. Just takes the right mindset.

          Tell me again where you are, in the Real and Known Worlds. We can
          perhaps have an experiment or two.

          Pax,

          -Robert fitz Thomas
        • Greg Williams
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 26 6:52 PM
            M'Lady,

            I can only speak for my household as others treat the
            Enchanted Ground concept in different ways. On board
            the Akula (we are a viking house based around a
            drakkar) the evening meal on Saturday of an event is
            the time when the 21st century fades the furthest into
            the background. It starts with our food. We try to
            make it as period as possible within the constraints
            of budget and the talents of that weekend's head cook.
            The conversations revolve around the days activities
            and what de ads were done by which member of the crew.
            After the meal is done and we relax around the fire
            it is time for the entertainment. If we have had a
            guest for dinner then they are asked to tell us a
            story, recite a poem or sing a song in return for the
            hospitality received (this is only requested and they
            may decline if they wish). If we have did not have
            the pleasure of good company, then the bardic falls
            upon one of the crew. As we are all hams at heart,
            there is usually a mad scramble to be first.

            The Enchanted Ground is a wonderful idea and it can be
            accomplished with very little effort. It also doesn't
            take a household to achieve it either, just one person
            deciding that they are only going to behave in as
            period a way as they can.

            Give it a shot and I hope that you achieve what ever
            level you are most comfortable with.

            Gotfred Genja
            Drakkar Akula

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/