  • Jeff Heilveil
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3 5:26 AM
      Ii said:
      "The other thing that drives me crazy is references to cotton. There are
      several vague English references to cotton being used in Japan, but they
      aren't too specific about when. Everything I've seen indicates that it
      didn't really get used until the Edo period, and it would have been
      imported, but I just don't know."

      Can't help much with Japan, however I know that the English were importing
      cotton twine for use in candles in period, which was news to a lot of
      people (including the English Chandler's guild who did the research when
      Elianora inquired). It came to light (pardon the unintended pun) when
      Elianora was working on her rather nifty "period book-light" research.

      Well, off to the lab. Hope everyone else is having a good Labor Day.

      Cu drag,
      Bogdan

      Jeffrey Heilveil M.S. Ld. Bogdan de la Brasov, C.W.
      Department of Entomology A Bear's paw and base vert on field argent
      University of Illinois
      heilveil@...
      lab: (217) 333-2929
    • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3 5:51 PM
        At 07:26 AM 9/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
        >Ii said:
        >"The other thing that drives me crazy is references to cotton. There are
        >several vague English references to cotton being used in Japan, but they
        >aren't too specific about when. Everything I've seen indicates that it
        >didn't really get used until the Edo period, and it would have been
        >imported, but I just don't know."
        >
        >Can't help much with Japan, however I know that the English were importing
        >cotton twine for use in candles in period, which was news to a lot of
        >people (including the English Chandler's guild who did the research when
        >Elianora inquired). It came to light (pardon the unintended pun) when
        >Elianora was working on her rather nifty "period book-light" research.

        Those sure were nifty. : ) However, by the 16th century the English were
        using cotton in clothing as well. I've found references to it in the wills
        & inventories I looked at.

        Cheers,
        Gwendoline