Re: [Authentic_SCA] Noil silk/ Fabric sources

  • Cynthia Virtue
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3 3:08 AM
      Ii Saburou wrote:
      > Another question I have is the use of 'raw silk'--was it used, or was silk
      > always refined further?

      Unlike "raw sugar" which is an early step in the processing of sugar,
      "raw silk," a misnomer for "noil silk" is a later *waste* product of
      making good silk. Real raw silk is reeled silk (taken off the cocoon in
      long lengths) with the slightly sticky sericin left in it. Noil silk is
      the bitten-off bits of silk from cocoons that have been eaten through by
      the silk moth. As a result, it's fuzzy, short-fibered, and cheap. It,
      like any silk, does take dye well, although most folks believe that
      since it's cheap, they use cheap dyes on it.

      --
      Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pré Argent
      newly-minted Laurel

      "Such virtue hath my pen...." -Shakespeare, Sonnet 81
      "I knew this wasn't _my_ pen!" --Cynthia V.