Eyelets

  • Sunny Medlock
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 2 10:09 PM
      ... Any idea where I might find little rings like that? I have
      > >been looking at soldered split rings, but I don't think they come
      big
      > >or sturdy enough.
      > >
      > >Elisabetta
      >
      > Off the top of my head - I don't know. However, try a hardware
      store for washers or I seem to remember something like them for
      drapery stuff. Personally, I've never used the rings and found that
      whipstiched eyelets on their own are plenty strong enough, even on a
      corset.

      > Cheers,
      > Gwendoline

      Since I haven't done much handsewing yet, I still don't trust the
      strength. Logic tells me that if tight corsets could be handsewn and
      sturdy at the same time, then I can do it, but I've been brainwashed
      by my sewing machine. :)

      As far as drapery rings, I have only seen metal ones twice ever and
      never small enough for this. I have thought about washers, but
      haven't seen any that would work yet. I still have to look harder.
      I have though about making my own, or bartering with a friend that
      makes chainmaile for some soldered rings of that sort... Still
      working on that one.

      Thanks for the help.

      Elisabetta
    • Matthew Mitchell
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 2 10:17 PM
        I was hoping that some might be able to tell me if
        choker were ever worn in the world in sca time line?
        tsara The bare necked

        =====
        http://im.yahoo.com
      • ivinian@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 3 6:18 AM
          I found small, 1/2" or 3/8" brass rings at Calico Corner this past
          weekend. They're not quite small enough, and they're a bit too thin
          compared to things I've seen, but they come pretty close. I've done
          the doublet sleeves so far and DB is very happy with the look.

          I bought 60 of them at like 5 cents each. As I checked out, I asked
          the cashier, "So, officially-like, what ARE these rings for?" She
          told me a lot of stuff about poufy valances and things.

          Aoda

        • unclrashid@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 3 8:03 AM
            --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Sunny Medlock" <sunnyday78723@y...> wrote:
            > him... Any idea where I might find little rings like that? I have
            > been looking at soldered split rings, but I don't think they come
            big
            > or sturdy enough.

            I know this will make certain people on the list splutter, but
            splutter away. I use the plastic rings made for roman shades if I
            can't find mettal in the right size. They are strong enough and I
            cover them with buttonhole stitch so no one can tell what they are
            made of.

            I know it's not one hundred percent accurate, but I am interested in
            the clothing and I am not interested in doing my own metalwork!

            Rashid
          • KAHLENR0SE@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 3 8:23 AM
              I think Im going to use some of my gold metal for jewelry and make them
              myself. Its a fine enough gauge. And its easy to make a small ring with a
              pair of jewelry pliers.
              I will give it a try and let you all know how well it works.
              Kahlen du Coeur

              If you want to touch the past TOUCH A ROCK. If you want to touch the present
              TOUCH A ROSE. If you want to touch the future TOUCH A LIFE.......Unknown
            • Sunny Medlock
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 3 1:40 PM
                > > him... Any idea where I might find little rings like that? I
                have been looking at soldered split rings, but I don't think they
                come big or sturdy enough.

                > I know this will make certain people on the list splutter, but
                > splutter away. I use the plastic rings made for roman shades if I
                > can't find mettal in the right size. They are strong enough and I
                > cover them with buttonhole stitch so no one can tell what they are
                > made of.
                >
                > I know it's not one hundred percent accurate, but I am interested
                > in the clothing and I am not interested in doing my own metalwork!
                >
                > Rashid

                I have done the same thing myself, but there are a few projects where
                I want the metal ones specifically, and short of finding plastic ones
                the right size and spray-painting them, Im afraid I might have to
                make them myself (unless I can find an armorer to do it for me?)

                As far as doing my own metalwork, I want to learn how to do
                everything anyway (that's why I am in the SCA, so I can limit it to a
                specific time/place instead of everything in existence :), so I
                really wouldn't mind making them myself.

                Elisabetta