Re: [Authentic_SCA] Eyelets (was Re: eBay item)

  • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 2, 2001
      At 04:38 AM 9/3/2001 +0000, you wrote:
      > > Yup. Page 46. The Pfalszgrafin's corset. (ok. I can't
      >spell.) : ) fig. 328.
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > > Gwendoline
      >
      >Ohmigosh! Do you know how many times I have looked at that and never
      >noticed?!? I have the book, but I really haven't read through it
      >like I should since it's about 60-100 years too late and not Italy.
      >I just got it 'cause anyone who calls her/himself a costumer has to
      >have it. Have you seen that anywhere earlier? I am thinking that
      >would be very usefull on my husband's arming coat that I have to make
      >him... Any idea where I might find little rings like that? I have
      >been looking at soldered split rings, but I don't think they come big
      >or sturdy enough.
      >
      >Elisabetta

      Off the top of my head - I don't know. However, try a hardware store for
      washers or I seem to remember something like them for drapery
      stuff. Personally, I've never used the rings and found that whipstiched
      eyelets on their own are plenty strong enough, even on a corset.

      Cheers,
      Gwendoline
    • Sunny Medlock
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 2, 2001
        ... Any idea where I might find little rings like that? I have
        > >been looking at soldered split rings, but I don't think they come
        big
        > >or sturdy enough.
        > >
        > >Elisabetta
        >
        > Off the top of my head - I don't know. However, try a hardware
        store for washers or I seem to remember something like them for
        drapery stuff. Personally, I've never used the rings and found that
        whipstiched eyelets on their own are plenty strong enough, even on a
        corset.

        > Cheers,
        > Gwendoline

        Since I haven't done much handsewing yet, I still don't trust the
        strength. Logic tells me that if tight corsets could be handsewn and
        sturdy at the same time, then I can do it, but I've been brainwashed
        by my sewing machine. :)

        As far as drapery rings, I have only seen metal ones twice ever and
        never small enough for this. I have thought about washers, but
        haven't seen any that would work yet. I still have to look harder.
        I have though about making my own, or bartering with a friend that
        makes chainmaile for some soldered rings of that sort... Still
        working on that one.

        Thanks for the help.

        Elisabetta
      • Matthew Mitchell
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 2, 2001
          I was hoping that some might be able to tell me if
          choker were ever worn in the world in sca time line?
          tsara The bare necked

          =====
          http://im.yahoo.com
        • ivinian@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 3, 2001
            I found small, 1/2" or 3/8" brass rings at Calico Corner this past
            weekend. They're not quite small enough, and they're a bit too thin
            compared to things I've seen, but they come pretty close. I've done
            the doublet sleeves so far and DB is very happy with the look.

            I bought 60 of them at like 5 cents each. As I checked out, I asked
            the cashier, "So, officially-like, what ARE these rings for?" She
            told me a lot of stuff about poufy valances and things.

            Aoda

          • unclrashid@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 3, 2001
              --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Sunny Medlock" <sunnyday78723@y...> wrote:
              > him... Any idea where I might find little rings like that? I have
              > been looking at soldered split rings, but I don't think they come
              big
              > or sturdy enough.

              I know this will make certain people on the list splutter, but
              splutter away. I use the plastic rings made for roman shades if I
              can't find mettal in the right size. They are strong enough and I
              cover them with buttonhole stitch so no one can tell what they are
              made of.

              I know it's not one hundred percent accurate, but I am interested in
              the clothing and I am not interested in doing my own metalwork!

              Rashid
            • KAHLENR0SE@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 3, 2001
                I think Im going to use some of my gold metal for jewelry and make them
                myself. Its a fine enough gauge. And its easy to make a small ring with a
                pair of jewelry pliers.
                I will give it a try and let you all know how well it works.
                Kahlen du Coeur

                If you want to touch the past TOUCH A ROCK. If you want to touch the present
                TOUCH A ROSE. If you want to touch the future TOUCH A LIFE.......Unknown
              • Sunny Medlock
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 3, 2001
                  > > him... Any idea where I might find little rings like that? I
                  have been looking at soldered split rings, but I don't think they
                  come big or sturdy enough.

                  > I know this will make certain people on the list splutter, but
                  > splutter away. I use the plastic rings made for roman shades if I
                  > can't find mettal in the right size. They are strong enough and I
                  > cover them with buttonhole stitch so no one can tell what they are
                  > made of.
                  >
                  > I know it's not one hundred percent accurate, but I am interested
                  > in the clothing and I am not interested in doing my own metalwork!
                  >
                  > Rashid

                  I have done the same thing myself, but there are a few projects where
                  I want the metal ones specifically, and short of finding plastic ones
                  the right size and spray-painting them, Im afraid I might have to
                  make them myself (unless I can find an armorer to do it for me?)

                  As far as doing my own metalwork, I want to learn how to do
                  everything anyway (that's why I am in the SCA, so I can limit it to a
                  specific time/place instead of everything in existence :), so I
                  really wouldn't mind making them myself.

                  Elisabetta