Re: [Authentic_SCA] Hemp fabric

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2001
      On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, L Joseph wrote:

      > Ii-dono,
      > You may find that hemp is very expensive due to
      > the fact it's, well, hemp. Just looked at a site
      > called www.hempsupply.com(found a bunch of things
      > doing a websearch under "hemp fabric") and they want
      > $20 US/yard for it.

      That's the main problem. References seem vague, many times. I have seen
      some books use 'linen', although research seems to indicate that they mean
      'hemp woven like linen'. The hemp used here, of course, does not contain
      the chemical used to make marijuana--you can't go throw a hemp hitatare on
      the fire and get high.

      So, linen seems to approximate the appearance in a reasonable fashion, and
      for that reason I plan to use linen for the most part, but I would like to
      see if I could import a good hemp fabric (I believe it is illegal to grow
      the plant anywhere in the US, am I wrong?) to use.

      The other thing that drives me crazy is references to cotton. There are
      several vague English references to cotton being used in Japan, but they
      aren't too specific about when. Everything I've seen indicates that it
      didn't really get used until the Edo period, and it would have been
      imported, but I just don't know.

      So for now, I'm considering using linen rather than hemp. And if I find a
      good brocade that happens to contain part polyester I may bite the
      bullet--I just can't find good Japanese patterns out there in 100% silk
      (heck, I can't find them in almost anything).

      -Ii
    • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2001
        Greetings,

        At 07:03 AM 9/2/2001 -0800, you wrote:
        >On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, L Joseph wrote:

        <snip>

        >So for now, I'm considering using linen rather than hemp. And if I find a
        >good brocade that happens to contain part polyester I may bite the
        >bullet--I just can't find good Japanese patterns out there in 100% silk
        >(heck, I can't find them in almost anything).

        Ii I can't help you with the other stuff but I did a search... and this is
        what I found. : )
        http://www.kimonofujikawa.com/index.html
        http://www.saberdesigns.cc/fabrics.htm
        http://www.thetatamiroom.com/index.html