Hemp fabric

  • L Joseph
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2001
      Ii-dono,
      You may find that hemp is very expensive due to
      the fact it's, well, hemp. Just looked at a site
      called www.hempsupply.com(found a bunch of things
      doing a websearch under "hemp fabric") and they want
      $20 US/yard for it.

      Good hunting,
      Jehanne

      =====
      Alfred, Lord Tennyson, "In Memoriam."

      http://im.yahoo.com
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2001
        On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, L Joseph wrote:

        > Ii-dono,
        > You may find that hemp is very expensive due to
        > the fact it's, well, hemp. Just looked at a site
        > called www.hempsupply.com(found a bunch of things
        > doing a websearch under "hemp fabric") and they want
        > $20 US/yard for it.

        That's the main problem. References seem vague, many times. I have seen
        some books use 'linen', although research seems to indicate that they mean
        'hemp woven like linen'. The hemp used here, of course, does not contain
        the chemical used to make marijuana--you can't go throw a hemp hitatare on
        the fire and get high.

        So, linen seems to approximate the appearance in a reasonable fashion, and
        for that reason I plan to use linen for the most part, but I would like to
        see if I could import a good hemp fabric (I believe it is illegal to grow
        the plant anywhere in the US, am I wrong?) to use.

        The other thing that drives me crazy is references to cotton. There are
        several vague English references to cotton being used in Japan, but they
        aren't too specific about when. Everything I've seen indicates that it
        didn't really get used until the Edo period, and it would have been
        imported, but I just don't know.

        So for now, I'm considering using linen rather than hemp. And if I find a
        good brocade that happens to contain part polyester I may bite the
        bullet--I just can't find good Japanese patterns out there in 100% silk
        (heck, I can't find them in almost anything).

        -Ii
      • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2001
          Greetings,

          At 07:03 AM 9/2/2001 -0800, you wrote:
          >On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, L Joseph wrote:

          <snip>

          >So for now, I'm considering using linen rather than hemp. And if I find a
          >good brocade that happens to contain part polyester I may bite the
          >bullet--I just can't find good Japanese patterns out there in 100% silk
          >(heck, I can't find them in almost anything).

          Ii I can't help you with the other stuff but I did a search... and this is
          what I found. : )
          http://www.kimonofujikawa.com/index.html
          http://www.saberdesigns.cc/fabrics.htm
          http://www.thetatamiroom.com/index.html