Re: Fabric sources, was: Question on source...
- --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., "Sunny Medlock" <sunnyday78723@y...> wrote:
> I just have to add my two cents (and now that is about all it'smore
> worth, still doing research...)
> --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., loom@v... wrote:
> > There is not much evidance of hemp being used for clothing.
> Although considering it's odd of surviving... I read of it being
> commonly used for rope.3 points:
1. I believe we have strayed from the original question, which was
referring to hemp being used for Japanese clothing.
2. I think Japan has a survivng tradition of hemp clothing, which
may indicate it was used in period (I am not certain of period
question was referring to)
3. One person's comment regarding hemp being mis-identified as linen
in archeological finds is probably very true. It requires
microscopic analysis to tell the difference and if you aren't primed
to look for it, that may not even reveal it.
- --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Danielle Nunn-Weinberg <dannw@m...> wrote:
> > The only references I have seen have been in the latter part ofthe 16th
> century so, I think that it would be out for early 16th c.Hmm - pity. I suppose it is only one layer...