Re: Fabric sources, was: Question on source...

  • Sunny Medlock
    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 1, 2001
      I just have to add my two cents (and now that is about all it's
      worth, still doing research...)

      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., loom@v... wrote:
      (Snip)>
      > There is not much evidance of hemp being used for clothing.
      Although considering it's odd of surviving... I read of it being more
      commonly used for rope.

      I have read somewhere that hemp was much more common than that in
      textiles. That fabrics made out of both flax and hemp were refered
      to as linen, but now we use flax almost exclusively for linen. So
      I'm wondering if in all the costume and archeological textile books
      when they find linen fabric, if they determine which type of linen it
      was?

      > Here is the fiber list. Wool, linen, silk (luxury fabric), cotton
      > (luxury fabric, India, Italy)...

      I have been reading "The Italian Cotton Industry in the Later Middle
      Ages 1100-1600" by Maureen Fennell Mazzaoui that cotton was commonly
      worn by virtuly everyone that had trade with the producing countries
      (especially Italy and Syria). An interesting point that I've noticed
      so far (I'm about 1/2-way through so far) is that most of this trade
      seems to occur within the muslim communities, to the Middle East,
      Muslim Spain, and North Africa specifically. She has not mentioned
      the Christian consumption of cotton textiles at all yet, and I am
      wondering if there was some sort of thing about not wearing the same
      cloth that the muslims wore at the time? It does seem that fine
      cotton (or "tree wool") cloth was more well known of than we
      previously thought.

      > Cassandra of Glastonbury

      Elisabetta Morosini
    • Lisa
      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 5, 2001
        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Danielle Nunn-Weinberg <dannw@m...> wrote:
        > > The only references I have seen have been in the latter part of
        the 16th
        > century so, I think that it would be out for early 16th c.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Gwendoline

        Hmm - pity. I suppose it is only one layer...

        Lisa