Price on Silk Brocade

  • Alexis Abarria
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1 2:09 PM
      Greetings,

      Whatever you buy will be cheaper than custom ordering it. Glad for an
      intellectual exercise. <evil grin>

      Consider that a medieval weaver regarded one inch an hour as good progress
      on brocades. There are 36 inches to a yard. Since this is skilled labor,
      say a modern $10/hour. The weaving time costs $360/yard and it will take
      approximately one month to weave.

      The reeled silk yarn costs $65/lb w/ 4700 yards. I would need 26,988 yards
      or 6 lbs of yarn to weave 10 yards of 40" wide cloth.

      I am not allowing for gold thread to be woven in. Not sure what the current
      exchange rate is or spinning time needed. But last time I bought the fake
      stuff for embroidery, it was ~$3 for a few yards, can't be cheap. No fakes
      for weaving, they tarnish.

      So, here is the cost for 10 yards brocaded silk.
      Labor = $3,600
      Yarn = $390
      _________
      $3990 for 10 yards or $400/yard.

      This just makes the cloth. Now we have studio overhead, middle men, and
      shop commission.

      Figure $100 studio overhead, assuming my studio takes up 1/7th of my house
      (not likely); one middle man @ 50% markup; and shop commission @ 20%

      Yardage = $3990
      Studio OH = $100
      Middleman = $2000
      Commission = $1200

      Your price = $7200 for 10 yards (plus sales tax) or $720/yard.

      See, wasn't that fun!
      Cassandra of Glastonbury
      who is putting off her spinning

      http://homepages.about.com/cassandra777/theloomybin/
    • KAHLENR0SE@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1 2:44 PM
        In a message dated 9/1/2001 2:15:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        loom@... writes:

        << Consider that a medieval weaver regarded one inch an hour as good progress
        on brocades. There are 36 inches to a yard. Since this is skilled labor,
        say a modern $10/hour. The weaving time costs $360/yard and it will take
        approximately one month to weave.

        I follow you and agree with the point that it was time intensive and
        expensive to make. However, at one inch per hour, 36 inches comes to 36
        hours. So one yard would be aproximately a weeks work. That is less than a
        normal work week of 40 hours. Not quite a month. Your point however is well
        taken. These weavers worked hard and were not compensated nearly what we
        would expect to be in todays free market.
        Kahlen du Coeur

        If you want to touch the past TOUCH A ROCK. If you want to touch the present
        TOUCH A ROSE. If you want to touch the future TOUCH A LIFE.......Unknown
      • loom@verizon.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1 6:29 PM
          Pls consider that the medieval day was sun up to sun down and
          Saturdays. There were guild laws about weaving after sunset. And we
          are weaving 10 yards.

          Cassandra

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1 7:04 PM
            In a message dated 9/1/2001 9:30:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            loom@... writes:

            << Pls consider that the medieval day was sun up to sun down and
            Saturdays. There were guild laws about weaving after sunset. And we
            are weaving 10 yards.

            Cassand >>
            My apologies, I thought you meant it would take a month to weave a yard.
            Thank you for setting me straight.
            Kahlen

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2 7:24 AM
              Now, *I* would be lucky to weave a yard in a month, but w/ a job
              search, house, cat, and other responsibilities :) Besides if I did
              actually weave something like that I do not know if I could bear to
              part w/ it. It was just an intellectual exercise.

              Cassandra