Re: [Authentic_SCA] Ethnic Medieval Music

  • Kass McGann
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2000
      He's a medieval musicologist?? Wow!

      He doesn't actually earn his living that way, unfortunately. It was just
      his major in college and something he is passionate about in the SCA.

      He earns his living as the assistant brewer at a microbrewery, which isn't
      so bad either... ;)

      Kass
    • spanogle@ix.netcom.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 8, 2000
        What I'm hoping for at this point is references to help me find the
        medieval and Renaissance sources of non-Christian music, if there are
        any. Especially helpful would be transcriptions of the medieval
        notation into modern, and transcriptions and/or translations of
        Hebrew, Arabic or Ladino texts. I'm basically hoping for something
        like what Van Der Werf did with the troubadour manuscripts, or what
        has been done for the Cantigas de Santa Maria. Since I'm just
        starting out, I don't know if that sort of scholarly material exists
        for any non-Western/Christian traditions. At this point I don't
        really even know what exists in the way of original manuscripts.

        Am I hoping for too much? Is any of this out there?

        Yours in Service,
        Teleri ferch Morgant

        --- In Authentic_SCA@egroups.com, "Stephen Higa" <mitsuo@u...> wrote:

        > My suggestion: find the period texts, find out all you can about
        the music that would've been associated with it (particularly rhythm,
        modes, theory, etc.), listen to the modern traditions, and formulate
        a melody for the text based on that knowledge. Of course, the modern
        "Andalusian" musical tradition in North Africa claims unbroken
        continuity with the medieval Arabo-Andalusian tradition, and those
        Ladino songs also seem to have unbroken links to 15th c. Spain, but
        since we can't be sure, it might be the better bet to create melodies
        anew using the documentably medieval text. My current project is an
        11th/12th c. Hebrew muwashshah, and in the past I've done the same
        with Beowulf. The medieval music ensemble Altramar (whom I've linked
        in the "Links" section) also does this.

        > e sirviessen a vos,
        > Moshe Mantega
      • Stephen Higa
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 8, 2000
          Unfortunately, according to my understanding, actual manuscripts are scarce
          or nonexistant. Of course, we sometimes get biblical cantillation symbols
          for medieval Jewish biblical texts, but aside from that...Occasionally the
          lyrics to songs in the modern oral traditions bear close resemblance to the
          documentably medieval texts, so some inferences can be made from that.

          Parallel Christian traditions supposed to be influenced by non-western
          musics (i.e., the Cantigas de Santa Maria, dance music, troubadour songs)
          can also provide important clues. I was looking through a book on Medieval
          Jewish music, and it provided a rare example of a documentably period Ladino
          folk song, "Ea Judios"--I played the melody from the given notation, and
          found that it bore a STRIKING resemblance to Cantiga 100, "Santa Maria
          strela do dia"...

          There's a book published by UC Berkeley I'm currently trying to find called
          "Ten Hispano-Arabic Songs in the Modern Oral Tradition" by James Monroe and
          Benjamin Liu. I've heard that this is an excellent resource for tracing
          traditional muwashshahat to their medieval roots. So that's a good book to
          try and get a hold of, if you can find it.

          en serviçio del sueño,
          Moshe Mantega
          Todo callado, todo 'stava'n silencio,
          Como la nuve'n a la escuridad.