MK A&S Criteria for Music Composition SCA Culture Style

  • constancefairfax@cs.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
      Hi-
      Here is the criteria with some snippage:
      Music Composition: SCA Culture Style
      (snip)
      The entries in this category includes pieces written about aspects of the SCA
      Culture. The themes are either SCA historical or cultural and can be written
      for or about members for the SCA. Historical precedence of this type of music
      has been set by the music of the trouveres and troubadours who wrote music
      that reflected current events, current cultural happenings or were about
      actual people. The SCA has a unique culture of its own and has given birth to
      its own ranks of troubadours. For this category, lyric sources are defined as
      following: tertiary sources are where the story involved has come to the
      composer third hand; secondary sources are where the story has come to the
      composer second hand; and primary sources are where the story has come to the
      composer first hand, either by witnessing the event or direct discussion with
      the event's protagonist. Many pieces of this genre use existing tunes, but
      the tunes must still be documented, even if it is not a period tune. All
      entries must be notated completely in contemporary notation and including any
      variation on the tune used.

      Documentation (0 to 4 points):

      0: No documentation provided with entry.
      1: Minimal information consisting of time, place and style.
      2: As in #1, plus use of general sources; emphasis on tertiary sources with
      perhaps one second source (ex: use of encyclopedia articles with a possible
      additional use of a book or article that refers to a period source.).
      3: As in #2, plus a developed discussion making use of critical references;
      sources are largely secondary (ex: sources refer to period references;
      documentation discusses, compares, and contrasts the source's views).
      4: As in #3, plus explanation of original research/experiment and relation
      of source material to it. Primary sources, if available, are emphasized (ex:
      sources used are from the appropriate period for the entry, such as period
      manuscripts, paintings or artifacts).

      Authenticity (0 to 4 points):

      0: No attempt at authenticity to the genre.

      1: Use of modern materials and methods to produce a work that would not
      be accepted in period but either bears some relationship to an authentic work
      or which might be useful within SCA Culture (ex: some use of elements of the
      genre but either lyrics refer to modernism's or the tune is of a more modern
      nature, such as 20th Century).
      2: Use of both modern materials and methods to produce a work that looks,
      feels or sounds authentic to the time period it purports to be (ex: captures
      the elements of the genre but has some modern overtones either in the tune or
      lyrics).
      3: Use of either modern materials or methods to produce a work that looks,
      feels or sounds authentic (ex: lyrics are done in a period style and the tune
      has a period sound, though it is not necessarily a period tune).
      4: Use of totally authentic materials and methods (ex: use of a period tune
      with lyrics done in a period style).

      Scope (0 to 6 points): Rank the ambition, not the success, of the entry on a
      scale of 0 to 6 points for each of the following elements and average for the
      total Scope score (Total of element scores divided by 4).

      Complexity of tune used.
      Complexity of instrumentation or meshing of vocal and instruments.
      Complexity of the harmonies used.
      Complexity of the poetic meter of the lyrics.
      Skill (0 to 6 points): How well is the music written? Rank the success of the
      entry on a scale of 0 to 6 points for each of the following elements and
      average for the total Skill score (Total of element scores divided by 4 ).

      Appearance, legibility and accuracy of the score. Can the score be sight
      read?
      Suitability for performance. Note the technical demands on the performers.
      Meshing together of lyrics with the tune. Does it sound natural or clumsy?
      Overall musical form: is the work a consistent and unified whole?
      Creativity ( 0 to 4 points) It is important to remember that part of this
      genre includes using existing tunes:

      0: Piece copied exact, no originality in the piece.
      1: No originality in the telling of the story, nothing to make the
      story unique.
      2: Some original elements have been added to the story, not a direct copy of
      an old story.
      3: As in #2, but with a fresh retelling of an existing story.
      4: An original story or an original perspective on an existing story.

      Judge's Observations (0 to 6 points): Rank the entry as a whole. How well do
      all the separately judged parts fit together? The entry's overall effect is
      judged in this section. This is the only section of the Criteria where the
      judge may allow her/his personality, private opinions and personal
      preferences to influence scoring.
    • Kass McGann
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
        > Many pieces of this genre use existing tunes, but
        > the tunes must still be documented, even if it is not a period tune.

        This is the only line in the description that seems to allow filks, don't
        you think? I can't see how a non-period tune could be used as documentation
        though. Maybe I'm just being thick.

        I think your "Music Composition SCA Culture Style" is equivalent to two of
        our categories, you see. "Musical Composition" and "Musical Performance -
        Filk". Musical Composition must be period or else you lose on documentation
        and authenticity. Of course, it's up to the judges to judge it correctly.
        Anything can win if the judges are uninformed.

        Kass
      • stephen higa
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
          This is excellent! thank you for sharing!

          > 3: Use of either modern materials or methods to produce a work that looks,
          > feels or sounds authentic (ex: lyrics are done in a period style and the tune
          > has a period sound, though it is not necessarily a period tune).
          > 4: Use of totally authentic materials and methods (ex: use of a period tune
          > with lyrics done in a period style).

          Why are less points given to an original melody done in a period style? I
          think this is more difficult (and just as comendable) as the use of an
          existing melody. Of course, I suppose filk is more characteristic of this
          genre...

          > Complexity of tune used.
          > Complexity of instrumentation or meshing of vocal and instruments.
          > Complexity of the harmonies used.
          > Complexity of the poetic meter of the lyrics.

          This is somewhat strange; organum, for example, can hardly be considered
          "complex" by modern standards. In medieval music (people are thinking,
          anyways), voices and instruments were heterophonic (like traditional music
          across cultures) and thus do not "mesh" in the manner we're accustomed to.
          Many medieval tunes aren't exactly complex, nor are many poetic meters.
          What do they mean?

          Moshe
          Only a voice,
          A dim voice whispers where the shadow of a man
          Visibly lay, but when I looked
          It had vanished--
          This flickering form...
          Like haze over the fields.

          --Seami Motokiyo (1363-1444)
        • constancefairfax@cs.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
            > > 3: Use of either modern materials or methods to produce a work that
            looks,
            > > feels or sounds authentic (ex: lyrics are done in a period style and the
            > tune
            > > has a period sound, though it is not necessarily a period tune).
            > > 4: Use of totally authentic materials and methods (ex: use of a period
            > tune
            > > with lyrics done in a period style).
            >
            > Why are less points given to an original melody done in a period style?
            I don't think that's the spirit of the rules...I think what they might be
            inferring is that 4 would be a "period tune" (either documentably period or a
            comparably period original). 3 would be an extant period tune.

            > > Complexity of tune used.
            > > Complexity of instrumentation or meshing of vocal and instruments.
            > > Complexity of the harmonies used.
            > > Complexity of the poetic meter of the lyrics.
            >
            > This is somewhat strange; organum, for example, can hardly be considered
            > "complex" by modern standards. In medieval music (people are thinking,
            > anyways), voices and instruments were heterophonic (like traditional music
            > across cultures) and thus do not "mesh" in the manner we're accustomed to.
            > Many medieval tunes aren't exactly complex, nor are many poetic meters.
            > What do they mean?

            I have found that in the MK A&S criteria, "simpler" items will score lower on
            scope. For example, I entered a pretty darn authentic handsewn child's
            flemish ensemble c. 1565 from Breughel paintings and a coupla contemporary
            articles. Several judges comments were "this is tedious but not
            complex"....now if I would have added some embroidery or strapwork I could
            have picked up several points on scope....but I'd have lost them on
            Authenticity because I can't find any record of such garments being
            embroidered. A middle of the road Elizabethan will usually score better than
            earlier period/lower class stuff. I think the same is evident in the
            criteria we are discussing.

            Constance
          • Jeanne Harney
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 4, 2001
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 4, 2001
                I thought Constance, Moshe and Vittoria (as well as other musical lurkers) would find this interesting:

                In 1528 on April 4, Pierre Attaingnant publishes "Chansons nouvelles musique a quartes partes," the first French publication of polyphonic music.

                Despina
              • Brighid the-short-blonde-Scot