Re: [Authentic_SCA] eBay item 1630226983 (Ends Sep-01-01 113739 PDT ) - REAL Gold Royal Elizabethan

  • Jeanne Harney
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2001
      From: "Danielle Nunn-Weinberg" <dannw@...>

      > Greetings,
      >
      > I think it's pretty and I like the fabric but.... Do you really want the
      > buts? : )

      Yes, I do. I've done very little research into Elizabethan time clothing.

      > I don't know where she got the idea for the gauzy hanging sleeves - off
      the
      > top of my head I've never seen anything like them sheer oversleeves
      > covering embroidery but not hanging like that.

      I was wondering about that and the train as well...and I was unhappy that
      she used a poly satin for the underskirt.

      > The bodice should be sewn to the skirt in my experience I haven't found
      any
      > evidence for a back lacing bodice with an open front skirt.

      This I didn't know about. Thanks for teaching me.

      > Third - grommets. Grommets are evil and much later than the 16th c...

      In her favor, she DID say that she knows they're not period and is willing
      to stitch over them to cover them. That gives her a few points in my
      opinion (which is worth exactly what you paid for it.)

      > Don't get me wrong, it's a gorgeous wedding dress, it's just not as
      > historically accurate as the person appears to want us to believe.

      And that's what I wanted to know.
      And it IS gorgeous.

      Jeanne