Re: [Authentic_SCA] Demos, Was: Flash photography

  • William Harrington
    Message 1 of 73 , Aug 29, 2001
      Ii Saburou wrote:

      > On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, William Harrington wrote:
      >
      > While I understand your feelings, I think that your actions would be an
      > over reaction, imho. It is a cultural difference; most people not in the
      > SCA would not realize that it was 'your' pavillion in that way.
      >
      > IMHO, the best thing to recommend if you don't wish to talk with them is
      > to gently instruct them that such and such is your own property, and then
      > point them towards someone who might be able to be of assistance
      > (chatelaine, seneschal, or autocrat. There should be SOMEONE at an event
      > that can take care of such things). Chasing them away does nobody any
      > good.
      >
      > -Ii

      While acknowledging that I misread the original post and am now dealing with a
      hypothetical situation, I must disagree. The cultural difference is not so great
      that a tent is suddenly rendered unrecognizable because it is made out of a natural
      fiber. Most peoples mothers taught them that they should not enter other peoples
      homes or tents or other private areas without an invitation. If someone were to
      behave in such a rude fashion, what would be wrong with chasing them off? Would
      you really want them around knowing that they do not behave according to the
      expected levels of politeness and respect of the mundane culture, much less those
      of the SCA subculture? If they decide that they do not want to become part of an
      organization where they are expected to respect others privacy and property then
      this is, in my opinion, for the best.

      Dorje
    • William Harrington
      Message 73 of 73 , Aug 29, 2001