Re: flash photography

  • bkflower@julian.uwo.ca
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 28, 2001
      All I can say is that's a real shame in my eyes. So many of our events are
      indoors, and without a flash, most pictures simply won't turn out, especially
      with the romantic candle-lighting so prevalent at feasts. So many pictures of
      precious moments in court that will not be captured. So many pictures of
      friends at feasts that will not be made. I'm glad I don't live in the East. I
      don't think it should be night of a thousand flashbulbs, but I don't think you
      should be lynched for taking one or two pictures.

      ~Eve

      > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., bkflower@j... wrote:
      > > Yes, flash photography CAN be annoying at times. Yes, it IS rather
      > noticable.
      > > But one thing you should remember... the flash will last only a
      > > second, the image it captures may last forever. And for those of us
      >
      > > who couldn't be there, a picture really can be worth a thousand
      > > words. For what it's worth, I'm all for this very non-period
      > > practice. Nothing convinces a potential newbie that they really have
      > > to come out and play this game like a picture can.
      > > ~Eve
      >
      > I suppose it depends on where you live. Indoor flash photography is
      > forbidden by East Kingdom law.
      >
      > Abigail/Morwenna

    • Cynthia Virtue
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 28, 2001
        > So many pictures of
        > precious moments in court that will not be captured.

        The distinction is not "no memories" vs. "flash photography" -- it's
        "other ways of remembering" vs. "flash photography."

        Now, some folks may believe it is critical to record such moments with
        photography. I'd be delighted to hear a well thought out reason why
        someone thinks this is so. It's not my view, in fact it's 180 degrees
        from it, but I like to think I'm a rational person who would like to
        hear an opposing set of reasons.

        --
        Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pré Argent

        I'm telling you, high speed internet access and a little curiosity can
        be a dangerous thing. -- Jerrine Bergman
      • loom@verizon.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 28, 2001
          Ok, here is an opposing viewpoint. I captured the memory mentally,
          but need the camera to capture a friend getting her AoA so she could
          show her mother. Her mother was delighted to see a different side to
          her daughter. BTW, it is best to get award shots while the deer-in-
          headlights look is still fresh.

          Now video cameras, can go by way of the cell phone. I have seen set
          ups (and tripped on them) that look like they came out of Hollywood.

          Cassandra

          > > So many pictures of
          > > precious moments in court that will not be captured.
          >

          > Now, some folks may believe it is critical to record such moments
          with
          > photography. I'd be delighted to hear a well thought out reason why
          > someone thinks this is so. It's not my view, in fact it's 180
          degrees
          > from it, but I like to think I'm a rational person who would like to
          > hear an opposing set of reasons.
          >
          > --
          > Cynthia Virtue and/or Cynthia du Pré Argent
          >
          > I'm telling you, high speed internet access and a little curiosity
          can
          > be a dangerous thing. -- Jerrine Bergman
        • Ii Saburou
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 28, 2001
            On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Cynthia Virtue wrote:

            > Now, some folks may believe it is critical to record such moments with
            > photography. I'd be delighted to hear a well thought out reason why
            > someone thinks this is so. It's not my view, in fact it's 180 degrees
            > from it, but I like to think I'm a rational person who would like to
            > hear an opposing set of reasons.

            Having been so long in Alaska, which tends to be rather insular due to the
            great distances to get anywhere else, I always appreciated photos so that
            I could see what other people were doing. During the tournaments, it
            meant that I could see how other people fought. During courts I could get
            ideas for making our own better. It also gave a sense of connectedness
            that confirmed we weren't the only lunatics in the world.

            Now, the question of 'flash' photography is somewhat different. I have to
            admit to being used to fairly well-lit rooms, most of the time. Also, I
            guess I have a decent speed of film (or a decent camera) for taking indoor
            shots. I don't see the need for indoor flash photography.

            It's hard to remember something you never attended. Also, I guess I wish
            the whole world were photographed, just to preserve it for later
            generations.

            -Ii