Re: cloth of gold

  • loom@gte.net
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001
      Found it! See Agnes Geijer, A History of Textile Arts, p11-13.
      Discusses the making of gold thread w/ variations.

      Cassandra
      --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., s_krasley@r... wrote:
      > One Piece that is cloth of gold that come to mind is the Uppsala
      gown.
      > Or Golden gown of Queen Margaret. Cynthia has an very nice article
      > and some upclose pictures for the reproduced fabric.
      > http://www.virtue.to/articles/margaret.html
      >
      > I think the gown dates to the late 14th century.
      > - Brynn
      >

      > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Danielle Nunn-Weinberg <dannw@m...>
      wrote:
      > 16th c.
      > > >
      > > >I am looking for earlier references to coincide with my persona.
      > > >so roughly 12-14th century.
      > > >
      > > >I am particularly looking for clothing as opposed to altar
      pieces
      > or the
      > > >Field of the Cloth of Gold that Henry came up with ^_^
      > > >

      > > >Thank you!
      > > >

      > > >Ysabella
      > >

      > > You might want to try looking at royal progress accounts, wills
      or
      > wardrobe
      > > accounts. I seem to vaguely remember a book entitled something
      > like: "Of
      > > his arraye I no longer telle." IIRC it is the wardrobe accounts
      of
      > a King
      > > from some point in that time frame. I do 16th c. stuff mainly so
      > I'm sorry
      > > I'm not more use. :)
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > > Gwendoline
    • zisaac
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001
        >Found it! See Agnes Geijer, A History of Textile Arts, p11-13.
        >Discusses the making of gold thread w/ variations.
        >
        >Cassandra

        wow!

        Thank you!

        I have a list of books I am going to get at the library this weekend.
        Thank you all!

        I love the golden gown of Queen Margaret...so amazing.

        a small question on the known world arts and science event....
        is it always in the same place every year or does it move?

        I would love to go someday...

        I would love to go to Seattle! But I am buying a dining table instead.

        ^_^

        Ysabella
      • s_krasley@recordtrak.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001

          > I have a list of books I am going to get at the library this
          weekend.
          > Thank you all!

          Do have fun. but beware it can lead to complusive disorders in which
          your hands are never happy unless they are working on something.

          > I love the golden gown of Queen Margaret...so amazing.
          >

          > a small question on the known world arts and science event....
          > is it always in the same place every year or does it move?

          If I recall bids are placed for the location. I think they are
          currently looking for the 2002 sight. I hope sometime it's closer
          then a 20 hours drive or 5 hour plane trip.

          - Brynn
        • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001
            At 02:25 PM 8/1/2001 -0400, you wrote:
            a small question on the known world arts and science event....
            is it always in the same place every year or does it move?

            This is the first one ever.

            Things that get billed as Known World events usually move greatly.

            Smiles,
            Despina

          • zisaac
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001

              >Do have fun. but beware it can lead to complusive disorders in which
              >your hands are never happy unless they are working on something.

              LOL!

              I think that has started already.

              I will do embroidery while watching movies!

              >If I recall bids are placed for the location. I think they are
              >currently looking for the 2002 sight. I hope sometime it's closer
              >then a 20 hours drive or 5 hour plane trip.

              Oh I see, that does make sense.
              It was just the first I had heard of it and after drooling over the class
              list for awhile, I realized that I would really love to attend.
              However as you said the five hour plane trip at roughly $1000.00 a ticket
              is too much right now.

              Even if I do adore Seattle and would love to visit the city again.

              Ysabella
            • ladymorwenna@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001
                > >a small question on the known world arts and science event....
                > >is it always in the same place every year or does it move?
                >
                > This is the first one ever.

                If you are speaking of the Known World Arts and Sciences Symposium,
                Carolingia hosted in 1997.

                > Things that get billed as Known World events usually move greatly.
                >
                > Smiles,
                > Despina

                Yes, they do. Eventually one will show up in a kingdom near you. At
                last count, the Known World Symposia have been for Arts & Sciences,
                Dance, Heraldic, and Rapier. Did I miss any?

                Abigail/Morwenna
              • Sheri Nielsen
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001
                  > Yes, they do. Eventually one will show up in a kingdom near you. At
                  > last count, the Known World Symposia have been for Arts & Sciences,
                  Dance, Heraldic, and Rapier. Did I miss any?

                  Costuming.

                  Megge
                • zisaac
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 1, 2001

                    >If you are speaking of the Known World Arts and Sciences Symposium,
                    >Carolingia hosted in 1997.

                    yes that is what I was speaking of.

                    Ysabella
                  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 2, 2001
                      Yes, they do. Eventually one will show up in a kingdom near you. At
                      last count, the Known World Symposia have been for Arts & Sciences,
                      Dance, Heraldic, and Rapier. Did I miss any?

                      Costuming - held last October and they're in the throes of choosing a place for the next one right now.

                      Smiles,
                      Despina