A death and a reminder...

  • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001

      This morning, at 1:50 am, Minesota Viking All-Star player, Korey Stringer died in Mankato Minnesota.  He had a heat stroke from workouts yesterday.
      This guy was a profesional athlete, who was used to working all day long  and the heat got the better of him.

      In a short while, we're going to be donning armour, and fighting in metal helms, for hours.  Please drink lots of water... never miss an opertunity to drink water.  Your body can absorb 8 fl oz per 15 minutes when you work out... some of out battles are much longer than 15 minutes.  Please take care of yourselves.

      Here's the full ESPN story... I'm sure there are articals on other sports, and news sites.

      http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2001/0731/1233494.html
    • N B
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001

        > >In a short while, we're going to be donning armour, and
        > fighting in metal
        > >helms, for hours. Please drink lots of water... never
        > miss an opertunity
        > >to drink water. Your body can absorb 8 fl oz per 15
        > minutes when you work
        > >out... some of out battles are much longer than 15
        > minutes. Please take
        > >care of yourselves.

        Which makes me ask, why is Pennsic held in the middle of
        summer???? Lochac's Romany festival is held in Australia's
        late autumn, I believe Gulf Wars is held in spring...It is
        stupid to fight in summer... Is the climate up in pennsic
        way that mild??

        Catalina

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
      • Ii Saburou
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
          On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, N B wrote:

          > Which makes me ask, why is Pennsic held in the middle of
          > summer???? Lochac's Romany festival is held in Australia's
          > late autumn, I believe Gulf Wars is held in spring...It is
          > stupid to fight in summer... Is the climate up in pennsic
          > way that mild??

          What are you talking about, stupid to fight in the summer? Would you
          rather we fight when it is -40 outside?

          -Ii, who has been in Oertha for a little too long perhaps--getting out of
          touch with weather in other places ;)
        • N B
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2001
            --- Ii Saburou <logan@...> wrote:
            > On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, N B wrote:
            >
            > > Which makes me ask, why is Pennsic held in the middle
            > of
            > > summer???? Lochac's Romany festival is held in
            > Australia's
            > > late autumn, I believe Gulf Wars is held in spring...It
            > is
            > > stupid to fight in summer... Is the climate up in
            > pennsic
            > > way that mild??
            >
            > What are you talking about, stupid to fight in the
            > summer? Would you
            > rather we fight when it is -40 outside?
            >
            > -Ii, who has been in Oertha for a little too long
            > perhaps--getting out of
            > touch with weather in other places ;)

            If you live in Alaska maybe thats the only season you can
            fight. Thats why I asked if Pennsic's weather in really
            that mild to be able to fight during the summer. Not only
            temperature wise but Humidity wise. I guess I am out of
            touch with northern climes cause I have always lived in
            places with 100 degree summers.(Texas, Lousiana and now
            Australia)

            Catalina

            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
          • andrea@gideonfamily.org
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2001
              > If you live in Alaska maybe thats the only season you can
              > fight. Thats why I asked if Pennsic's weather in really
              > that mild to be able to fight during the summer. Not only
              > temperature wise but Humidity wise. I guess I am out of
              > touch with northern climes cause I have always lived in
              > places with 100 degree summers.(Texas, Lousiana and now
              > Australia)
              >
              > Catalina

              Pennsic can either be very mild or very hot. The first year I went
              (Pennsic XXII)it reached 115 on the battlefield. Last year was very
              chilly. I don't know what the average temp was, but my guess is
              around 75. The reason it's held in the summer is because that's when
              it's always been held. I think people have talked about moving it but
              it just wouldn't work. The Coopers run a private campground. They
              have other campers and other activities during the rest of the year.
              Giovanna
            • Jeff Gedney
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2001
                Greetings.
                The main reason that Pennsic is held at that time in the Summer is that
                when it was originally set up, Pennsic was a long weekend event, and that
                time just happened then. It was kept at that time, since here in the
                states, at least during the 70's, many manufacturing facilities closed
                down for a couple of weeks in August, to save money on cooling. Since all
                schools were out at that time, as well, it was a convenient time to have
                the then unheard of idea of a weeklong event.

                Elias Gedney
                Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis,
                ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
              • Kate Jones
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2, 2001
                  Jeff Gedney sez:

                  > Greetings.
                  > The main reason that Pennsic is held at that time in the Summer is that
                  > when it was originally set up, Pennsic was a long weekend event, and that
                  > time just happened then. It was kept at that time, since here in the
                  > states, at least during the 70's, many manufacturing facilities closed
                  > down for a couple of weeks in August, to save money on cooling. Since all
                  > schools were out at that time, as well, it was a convenient time to have
                  > the then unheard of idea of a weeklong event.

                  For those in kingdoms who have long events when school _is_ in session
                  - how do teachers, parents with children in school, and people who are
                  in school get to them? Having Pennsic during the school year would cut
                  its attendance by quite a bit.

                  (Which could, it could be argued, be a good thing, but if we're going
                  to be making it impossible for entire groups of people to go to
                  Pennsic those aren't the groups I'd want to do that to...)

                  Kat'ryna
                  --
                  Kate Jones | I turned my world upside-down
                  kate@... | and that's how everything landed...