Re: Questions for costumers

  • ivinian@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2001
      re: chemicals

      Can't remember where I heard it, just that I'm fairly sure I read it
      in one of my books and it stuck in my memory because at the time I
      had never heard of chemicals used for that till the Industrial
      Revolution (I've read about the deleterious effects of some bleaches
      too, but it was so long ago I can't remember what the chemical was
      either). I want to say I heard about it with regard to post-
      Elizabethan history that some chemical was used on linens to make 'em
      brighter. Maybe one of the Gies books.. I know it wasn't any of the
      Weir biographies, the Gimpel, or the year 1000 stuff.. could have
      been an Italian history I've been going through; I'll keep an eye out
      for it -- textile care hasn't really been one of my study topics so
      other than remembering some details I haven't kept track of it. If
      you haven't heard of that, and if linen is so easily sun-bleached to
      white, then my information may be in error. I'm fairly sure I did
      read about this (I don't like to speak without KNOWING where my
      sources are, but I slipped here), but you're right -- it doesn't seem
      logical to use chemicals if simple sunshine will do the trick.

      I am a storehouse of information, but it doesn't do much good if I
      can't find the storage bin number!