Re: Creative vs. Authentic (Was: A&S Judging)

  • andrea@gideonfamily.org
    Message 1 of 203 , Jul 31, 2001
      > way. In favour of the sleeves/partlet idea, I can't think of any
      other
      > pics that have the sleeves of a smock quite *that* visible.
      Somewhat
      > visible, maybe, but not totally exposed.

      There are some pictures in Queen Elizabeth's Wardrobe Unlock'd that
      have embroidered sleeves and partlets. Most of them are later than
      the Bess of Hardwick pictures, but it's the same kind of work. the
      usually have a square-necked bodice and little puffed sleeve caps or
      shoulder rolls, so the embroidery is much more exposed. I had a
      discussion on another list about whether they were partlets or
      smocks. Someone had mentioned that she had seen one of these
      embriodered garments in a musuem. It was an embroidered shirt that
      only reached a couple inches below the armpit. The wearere would have
      to have worn a full length smock, shift or chemise under the
      embroidered shirt. However, I plan on making mine all seperate so I
      will be able to mix and match.
      Giovanna
    • andrea@gideonfamily.org
      Message 203 of 203 , Jul 31, 2001