cloth of gold

  • zisaac
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 29, 2001
      I have been searching the internet for any information on Gold fabric.

      I have only found a few sources...but nothing really substanial

      Does anyone here have a book reference perhaps?

      (besides the "gold gown"...I am looking for plain gold cloth)

      Ysabella
    • loom@gte.net
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 29, 2001
        Check archaeological texts. Object and Economy in Medieval Winchester
        by Biddle, Martin; Cloth and Clothing in Medieval Europe by Harte,
        N.B. & Ponting, K.G., ed; NESAT III. See also my weaving bib
        http://homepages.about.com/cassandra777/theloomybin/

        A lot of the gold was inlay work. The making of the yarn is way cool.

        Happy reading,
        Cassandra

        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., zisaac <zisaac@f...> wrote:
        > I have been searching the internet for any information on Gold
        fabric.

        > I have only found a few sources...but nothing really substanial
        >

        > Does anyone here have a book reference perhaps?
        >

        > (besides the "gold gown"...I am looking for plain gold cloth)
        >

        > Ysabella
      • zisaac
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 30, 2001
          Cassandra,

          Thank you for the book references

          >A lot of the gold was inlay work. The making of the yarn is way cool.

          I found only one small section on it.
          It sounded almost like it was extruded?
          Does that sound right to you?

          Ysabela
        • loom@gte.net
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 30, 2001
            Here is my understanding of gold yarn. Use yellow dyed silk for the
            core. Take gold, beat until very thin. Cut into thin strips. Spin
            or twist the strips of gold around the silk core. Weave w/ great
            care.

            Cassandra

            --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., zisaac <zisaac@f...> wrote:
            > Cassandra,
            >
            > Thank you for the book references
            >
            > >A lot of the gold was inlay work. The making of the yarn is way
            cool.

            > I found only one small section on it.
            > It sounded almost like it was extruded?
            > Does that sound right to you?
            >

            > Ysabela
          • zisaac
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 30, 2001
              >Here is my understanding of gold yarn. Use yellow dyed silk for the
              >core. Take gold, beat until very thin. Cut into thin strips. Spin
              >or twist the strips of gold around the silk core. Weave w/ great
              >care.

              Egads!

              that is work....

              LOL!

              I was told that the lame' I had for my underdress looked very similar to
              period pieces.
              It had a black backing to it...

              Making an actual gold underdress would be cost prohibitive...so I have
              been trying to decide which fabrics of modern times would work best.

              Is the fabric I used last the best kind?
              I am not sure yet.

              That is my little quest

              Ysabella
            • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 30, 2001
                At 03:26 PM 7/29/2001 -0400, you wrote:
                >I have been searching the internet for any information on Gold fabric.
                >
                >I have only found a few sources...but nothing really substanial
                >

                >Does anyone here have a book reference perhaps?

                What kind of references are you looking for? There are TONS of 16th c.
                English references to cloth of gold of various sorts...

                Cheers,
                Gwendoline
              • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 30, 2001
                  At 10:02 AM 7/30/2001 -0400, you wrote:

                  <snip>
                  >I was told that the lame' I had for my underdress looked very similar to
                  >period pieces.
                  >It had a black backing to it...
                  >
                  >Making an actual gold underdress would be cost prohibitive...so I have
                  >been trying to decide which fabrics of modern times would work best.
                  >
                  >Is the fabric I used last the best kind?
                  >I am not sure yet.
                  >
                  >That is my little quest

                  Well you might want to try looking at Indian merchants. A lot of the ones
                  I frequent have a fabric which would work well as "tinsel" or "cloth of
                  gold tissue." It is a sheer fabric (most like an organza) which has a silk
                  or poly warp and a metal thread weft. The beauty of this is, it is real
                  metal thread not the lurex so it looks much more realistic.

                  Cheers,
                  Gwendoline
                • zisaac
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 30, 2001
                    >What kind of references are you looking for? There are TONS of 16th c.
                    >English references to cloth of gold of various sorts...

                    Greetings Gwendoline,

                    I am looking for earlier references to coincide with my persona.
                    so roughly 12-14th century.

                    I am particularly looking for clothing as opposed to altar pieces or the
                    Field of the Cloth of Gold that Henry came up with ^_^

                    Thank you!

                    Ysabella
                  • zisaac
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 30, 2001
                      >Well you might want to try looking at Indian merchants.
                      (snip)

                      Oh fabulous!!!

                      Thank you so much!

                      Now I have a more centered quest and I am extremely grateful for that!

                      Ysabella
                    • loom@gte.net
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 30, 2001
                        What? You are not going to spin the silk, dye it yellow, beat the
                        gold, cut the gold, ply them together; and then weave the cloth!!!!!

                        Cassandra

                        --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., zisaac <zisaac@f...> wrote:
                        > >Well you might want to try looking at Indian merchants.
                        > (snip)
                        >

                        > Oh fabulous!!!
                        >
                        > Thank you so much!
                        >

                        > Now I have a more centered quest and I am extremely grateful for
                        that!

                        > Ysabella
                      • zisaac
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 30, 2001
                          >What? You are not going to spin the silk, dye it yellow, beat the
                          >gold, cut the gold, ply them together; and then weave the cloth!!!!!
                          >
                          >Cassandra

                          umm yessss. yes I am...

                          definitely....just a sec...

                          there see (holds up cloth)

                          now where is that darn Emporer.

                          *giggle*

                          ysabella
                        • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 31, 2001
                            At 07:06 PM 7/30/2001 -0400, you wrote:
                            > >What kind of references are you looking for? There are TONS of 16th c.
                            > >English references to cloth of gold of various sorts...
                            >
                            >I am looking for earlier references to coincide with my persona.
                            >so roughly 12-14th century.
                            >
                            >I am particularly looking for clothing as opposed to altar pieces or the
                            >Field of the Cloth of Gold that Henry came up with ^_^
                            >

                            >Thank you!
                            >

                            >Ysabella

                            You might want to try looking at royal progress accounts, wills or wardrobe
                            accounts. I seem to vaguely remember a book entitled something like: "Of
                            his arraye I no longer telle." IIRC it is the wardrobe accounts of a King
                            from some point in that time frame. I do 16th c. stuff mainly so I'm sorry
                            I'm not more use. :)

                            Cheers,
                            Gwendoline
                          • zisaac
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 31, 2001
                              > do 16th c. stuff mainly so I'm sorry
                              >I'm not more use. :)

                              Gwendoline,

                              You have been extremely helpful!

                              I thank you for that!

                              Ysabella
                            • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 31, 2001
                                At 11:01 PM 7/31/2001 -0400, you wrote:
                                > > do 16th c. stuff mainly so I'm sorry
                                > >I'm not more use. :)
                                >
                                >Gwendoline,
                                >
                                >You have been extremely helpful!
                                >
                                >I thank you for that!
                                >
                                >Ysabella

                                Thank you kindly, good lady. If I can be of further service, please let me
                                know. : )

                                Cheers,
                                Gwendoline
                              • s_krasley@recordtrak.com
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 1 6:04 AM
                                  One Piece that is cloth of gold that come to mind is the Uppsala gown.
                                  Or Golden gown of Queen Margaret. Cynthia has an very nice article
                                  and some upclose pictures for the reproduced fabric.
                                  http://www.virtue.to/articles/margaret.html

                                  I think the gown dates to the late 14th century.
                                  - Brynn

                                • loom@gte.net
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 1 10:18 AM
                                    Found it! See Agnes Geijer, A History of Textile Arts, p11-13.
                                    Discusses the making of gold thread w/ variations.

                                    Cassandra
                                    --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., s_krasley@r... wrote:
                                    > One Piece that is cloth of gold that come to mind is the Uppsala
                                    gown.
                                    > Or Golden gown of Queen Margaret. Cynthia has an very nice article
                                    > and some upclose pictures for the reproduced fabric.
                                    > http://www.virtue.to/articles/margaret.html
                                    >
                                    > I think the gown dates to the late 14th century.
                                    > - Brynn
                                    >

                                    > --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Danielle Nunn-Weinberg <dannw@m...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > 16th c.
                                    > > >
                                    > > >I am looking for earlier references to coincide with my persona.
                                    > > >so roughly 12-14th century.
                                    > > >
                                    > > >I am particularly looking for clothing as opposed to altar
                                    pieces
                                    > or the
                                    > > >Field of the Cloth of Gold that Henry came up with ^_^
                                    > > >

                                    > > >Thank you!
                                    > > >

                                    > > >Ysabella
                                    > >

                                    > > You might want to try looking at royal progress accounts, wills
                                    or
                                    > wardrobe
                                    > > accounts. I seem to vaguely remember a book entitled something
                                    > like: "Of
                                    > > his arraye I no longer telle." IIRC it is the wardrobe accounts
                                    of
                                    > a King
                                    > > from some point in that time frame. I do 16th c. stuff mainly so
                                    > I'm sorry
                                    > > I'm not more use. :)
                                    > >
                                    > > Cheers,
                                    > > Gwendoline
                                  • zisaac
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 1 11:25 AM
                                      >Found it! See Agnes Geijer, A History of Textile Arts, p11-13.
                                      >Discusses the making of gold thread w/ variations.
                                      >
                                      >Cassandra

                                      wow!

                                      Thank you!

                                      I have a list of books I am going to get at the library this weekend.
                                      Thank you all!

                                      I love the golden gown of Queen Margaret...so amazing.

                                      a small question on the known world arts and science event....
                                      is it always in the same place every year or does it move?

                                      I would love to go someday...

                                      I would love to go to Seattle! But I am buying a dining table instead.

                                      ^_^

                                      Ysabella
                                    • s_krasley@recordtrak.com
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 1 12:48 PM

                                        > I have a list of books I am going to get at the library this
                                        weekend.
                                        > Thank you all!

                                        Do have fun. but beware it can lead to complusive disorders in which
                                        your hands are never happy unless they are working on something.

                                        > I love the golden gown of Queen Margaret...so amazing.
                                        >

                                        > a small question on the known world arts and science event....
                                        > is it always in the same place every year or does it move?

                                        If I recall bids are placed for the location. I think they are
                                        currently looking for the 2002 sight. I hope sometime it's closer
                                        then a 20 hours drive or 5 hour plane trip.

                                        - Brynn
                                      • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Aug 1 12:51 PM
                                          At 02:25 PM 8/1/2001 -0400, you wrote:
                                          a small question on the known world arts and science event....
                                          is it always in the same place every year or does it move?

                                          This is the first one ever.

                                          Things that get billed as Known World events usually move greatly.

                                          Smiles,
                                          Despina

                                        • zisaac
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Aug 1 2:29 PM

                                            >Do have fun. but beware it can lead to complusive disorders in which
                                            >your hands are never happy unless they are working on something.

                                            LOL!

                                            I think that has started already.

                                            I will do embroidery while watching movies!

                                            >If I recall bids are placed for the location. I think they are
                                            >currently looking for the 2002 sight. I hope sometime it's closer
                                            >then a 20 hours drive or 5 hour plane trip.

                                            Oh I see, that does make sense.
                                            It was just the first I had heard of it and after drooling over the class
                                            list for awhile, I realized that I would really love to attend.
                                            However as you said the five hour plane trip at roughly $1000.00 a ticket
                                            is too much right now.

                                            Even if I do adore Seattle and would love to visit the city again.

                                            Ysabella
                                          • ladymorwenna@yahoo.com
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Aug 1 3:06 PM
                                              > >a small question on the known world arts and science event....
                                              > >is it always in the same place every year or does it move?
                                              >
                                              > This is the first one ever.

                                              If you are speaking of the Known World Arts and Sciences Symposium,
                                              Carolingia hosted in 1997.

                                              > Things that get billed as Known World events usually move greatly.
                                              >
                                              > Smiles,
                                              > Despina

                                              Yes, they do. Eventually one will show up in a kingdom near you. At
                                              last count, the Known World Symposia have been for Arts & Sciences,
                                              Dance, Heraldic, and Rapier. Did I miss any?

                                              Abigail/Morwenna
                                            • Sheri Nielsen
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Aug 1 4:30 PM
                                                > Yes, they do. Eventually one will show up in a kingdom near you. At
                                                > last count, the Known World Symposia have been for Arts & Sciences,
                                                Dance, Heraldic, and Rapier. Did I miss any?

                                                Costuming.

                                                Megge
                                              • zisaac
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Aug 1 4:41 PM

                                                  >If you are speaking of the Known World Arts and Sciences Symposium,
                                                  >Carolingia hosted in 1997.

                                                  yes that is what I was speaking of.

                                                  Ysabella
                                                • Amy L. Hornburg Heilveil
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Aug 2 7:13 AM
                                                    Yes, they do. Eventually one will show up in a kingdom near you. At
                                                    last count, the Known World Symposia have been for Arts & Sciences,
                                                    Dance, Heraldic, and Rapier. Did I miss any?

                                                    Costuming - held last October and they're in the throes of choosing a place for the next one right now.

                                                    Smiles,
                                                    Despina