Re: [Authentic_SCA] washing wool

  • Jeanne Harney
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 27, 2001
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Alexis Abarria" <loom@...>

      > The period way involves a clear running stream, which I do not have. So
      > here is my modern way.

      <snip>

      > Fill washing machine w/ cool water. Put wool in mesh bags. Do not over
      fill
      > bags. The wool needs plenty of room. Turn machine off. Put mesh bags in
      > machine. Push them down to get the wool wet. Leave them to soak over
      night.
      > This will rinse out the dust, VM, sheep sweat, and urine. (And you let
      this
      > into your house???) Spin out water. It will be gross.

      Actually, it's been in my car. For a month. don't know if that's better or
      worse.

      Post saved. Thank you muchly! There's no chance I'm pregnant, so the
      pennyroyal will be ok. I figured out what was causing that years ago! <G>

      Jeanne
    • Alexis Abarria
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 27, 2001
        The period way involves a clear running stream, which I do not have. So
        here is my modern way.

        Need:

        The wool

        Mesh bags, like for lingerie

        Dawn Dish soap

        Pennyroyal oil

        Washing machine

        Bleach

        Fill washing machine w/ cool water. Put wool in mesh bags. Do not over fill
        bags. The wool needs plenty of room. Turn machine off. Put mesh bags in
        machine. Push them down to get the wool wet. Leave them to soak over night.
        This will rinse out the dust, VM, sheep sweat, and urine. (And you let this
        into your house???) Spin out water. It will be gross.

        Remove bags from machine. Fill w/ hot water and 1 cup Dawn. Stop machine.
        Add bags of wool. Push down. Let soak for ~30 minutes. Put lid of machine
        down to keep water warm. Do not let the water cool. The soap will soak into
        the wool and leave it gummy. Spin out.

        Remove bags from machine. Fill w/ warm water. Add bags of wool. Push down.
        Let soak ~10 minutes. Spin out.

        Repeat rinse 2-3 more times. On the last rinse, add a few drops of
        pennyroyal oil to the water. DO NOT USE PENNYROYAL IF YOU ARE OR MIGHT BE
        PREGNANT. IT CAN CAUSE MISSCARRIAGES. The pennyroyal makes the fleece smell
        nice and acts as a moth deterrent.

        Remove bags from machine. Place on drying rack or screen. Let wool dry.

        Store wool in paper bags or cotton sacks.

        The trick is to handle the wool as little as possible and avoid temperature
        shock. Both will cause felting.

        Now that the wool is all washed, fill machine w/ hot water, add a cup of
        bleach. And run a short cycle to clean the machine.

        Happy spinning,

        Cassandra

        http://homepages.about.com/cassandra777/theloomybin/
      • ranvaig
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 31, 2001
          >Fill washing machine w/ cool water. Put wool in mesh bags. Do not over fill
          >bags. The wool needs plenty of room. Turn machine off. Put mesh bags in
          >machine. Push them down to get the wool wet. Leave them to soak over night.
          >This will rinse out the dust, VM, sheep sweat, and urine. (And you let this
          >into your house???) Spin out water. It will be gross.

          This works with a medium to coarse fleece.

          Do not let the machine run at all with merino or any other fine fleece!!!!!
          It will felt... badly!! (Can you tell that this is personal experience?)

          Its a good idea to try washing just a lock or two and check
          how much it felts.

          I do use the washer, but I remove the bags (letting them drain in the
          sink a little) run the washer until it is empty and put the wool back to
          spin out. Then take it out again while the machine fills again.

          Repeat.. careful to handle the wool as little as possible.
          And never, ever let the water run onto the wool or let the machine
          run at all when there is water AND wool in it. The spin cycle
          when the machine is empty of water seems to be ok, and really does
          extract a lot more of the dirty water, saving several rinses.

          Ranvaig