book question

  • rowengr@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 25 8:16 AM
      I shouldn't be allowed to go poking around amazon.uk…..

      Anyone know anything about this book?

      Renaissance Clothing and the Materials of Memory; Ann Jones, Peter
      Stallybrass

      Synopsis
      During the late-16th century fashion first took on the sense of
      restless change in contrast to the older sense of fashioning or
      making. As fashionings, clothes were perceived as material forms of
      personal and social identity which made the man or woman. In this
      study Jones and Stallybrass argue that the making and transmission of
      fabrics and clothing were central to the making of Renaissance
      culture. Their examination explores the role of clothes as forms of
      memory transmitted from master to servant, from friend to friend, from
      lover to lover. This book offers a close reading of literary texts,
      paintings, textiles, theatrical documents and ephemera to reveal how
      clothing and textiles were crucial to the making and unmaking of
      concepts of status, gender, sexuality and religion in the Renaissance.
      The book is illustrated with a wide range of images from portraits to
      embroidery.
    • Kass McGann
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 25 8:35 AM
        > Anyone know anything about this book?
        >

        > Renaissance Clothing and the Materials of Memory; Ann Jones, Peter
        > Stallybrass

        I've never heard of it, but it sure sounds interesting. Gwendoline? Abby?
        Giovanna? Anyone hear of this?

        Kass
      • Danielle Nunn-Weinberg
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 25 4:32 PM
          At 11:35 AM 7/25/2001 -0400, you wrote:
          > > Anyone know anything about this book?
          > >

          > > Renaissance Clothing and the Materials of Memory; Ann Jones, Peter
          > > Stallybrass
          >
          >I've never heard of it, but it sure sounds interesting. Gwendoline? Abby?
          >Giovanna? Anyone hear of this?

          It was discussed on H-Costume a while back and it was suggested than
          anything that Peter Stallybrass had a hand in wasn't worth the money. To
          back this up, (when questioned on this opinion) the person had sent a web
          page of his to the list so we could see his writing. It was gibberish (I
          didn't keep the page, sorry but try the archives
          http://mail.indra.com/pipermail/h-costume/). It was quite amusing but he
          made lots of really odd sweeping statements and a lot of what he said
          appeared to be strange. Personally, after reading his page, I wouldn't buy
          the book...

          Cheers,
          GWendoline
        • Christina_Lemke@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 26 4:29 AM
            I found his web site, it's on http://www.english.upenn.edu/~pstally/
            There are links to what I assume are two chapters from the book,
            written in a strange and somewhat rambling style. I am not sure what
            his point is; I think he is partly trying to show how incredibly well-
            read he is, at least that is the only reason I can imagine for
            mentioning (presumably 20th century) Tubetube natives and other
            irrelevant trivia in a book about Elizabethan clothing.
            From the other stuff he has written, he appears to specialize in
            Elizabethan literature.

          • rowengr@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 26 7:12 AM
              --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., Danielle Nunn-Weinberg <dannw@m...> wrote:
              > At 11:35 AM 7/25/2001 -0400, you wrote:
              > > > Anyone know anything about this book?
              > > >

              > > > Renaissance Clothing and the Materials of Memory; Ann Jones,
              Peter Stallybrass

              > It was discussed on H-Costume a while back and it was suggested than
              > anything that Peter Stallybrass had a hand in wasn't worth the
              money. To
              > back this up, (when questioned on this opinion) the person had sent
              a web
              > page of his to the list so we could see his writing. It was
              gibberish (I
              > didn't keep the page, sorry but try the archives
              > http://mail.indra.com/pipermail/h-costume/). It was quite amusing
              but he
              > made lots of really odd sweeping statements and a lot of what he
              said
              > appeared to be strange. Personally, after reading his page, I
              wouldn't buy
              > the book...
              >
              > Cheers,
              > GWendoline

              Thanks for the input - it looked intersting, but it's a bit hard to
              tell from a distance...

              Rowen
            • Llyn
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 27, 2003
                Greetings! Please forgive the cross-posting :-)

                Do any of you know anything about this book? Accuracy, etc.?

                Thanks!

                YIS,
                Lady Myfanwy Bach
                Summits Chronicler
                Shire of Corvaria, Summits, An Tir
                ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
                Checked by Norton SystemWorks Antivirus 2002.
                No worries!
                ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
                All electronic transmissions pursuant to the PATRIOT ACT are now subject to screening without a court order by the Federal Government.
              • Llyn
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 27, 2003
                  How about this one??

                  YIS,
                  Lady Myfanwy Bach
                  Summits Chronicler
                  Shire of Corvaria, Summits, An Tir
                  ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
                  Checked by Norton SystemWorks Antivirus 2002.
                  No worries!
                  ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
                  All electronic transmissions pursuant to the PATRIOT ACT are now subject to screening without a court order by the Federal Government.

                • Generys ferch Ednuyed
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 27, 2003
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 27, 2003
                      wrote:
                      > How about this one??

                      Never heard of the first one, Myfanwy, but I have heard of Iris
                      Brooke. I would recommend neither since they both redraw
                      figures and based on the date on the first one (1977), I don't
                      think it would be a terribly good source. They weren't doing
                      stellar research back in the 70s...

                      Besides, Iris Brooke is in print. I wouldn't buy it on eBay.

                      If you want them for your collection, go for it. But if you want them
                      because you want to buy a good costume book, get "Medieval
                      Dress and Accessories 1150-1450" from the Museum of London
                      series. Or "The Medieval Tailor's Assistant" would be better than
                      Iris Brooke.

                      Hope this helps,
                      Kass
                    • Christina L Biles
                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 27, 2003
                        Generys asked:
                        (in
                        general not necessarily for this book)

                        Because books on Ebay are rarely cheap. Ebay is an excellent place for
                        bargains on some things, but book usually aren't one of them. I always
                        cross check book listings against amazon.com and abebooks.com, and
                        sometimes other places as well. I bought a book on Ebay once. (a small
                        modern cookbook.) I buy many, many books at my local bookstores &
                        abebooks, and the occasional one from Amazon or Barnes & Noble. The
                        prices on Ebay just don't reflect actual values as a rule.

                        -Magdalena the mad librarian
                      • Kass McGann <historian@reconstructinghis
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 27, 2003
                          > Why would you not buy something in print on eBay? Cheap is
                          good... :-) (in
                          > general not necessarily for this book)

                          You misunderstand me, Generys. I meant that she might pay TOO MUCH
                          for it on eBay. She could easily get it at a discount place or in a
                          second-hand shop for less that the auction may go for.

                          Kass
                        • Cindi
                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 27, 2003
                            I don't know about those books, they look a bit hmm cheesy to me, but I have picked up some very reasonable books at Ebay and its sister site Half.com.  On ebay I bought a 1947 all Italian version of Boticelli's works for $1.50 plus shipping, and a 1930's hardback edition of The Decameron for $2.50 plus shipping.  The books are far from pristine shape but they serve my purpose in research and economy, since I am not trying to build a library of antique books.

                            YIS,
                            Nastasia Caterina di Rosati
                            Marche of Alderford, Middle Kingdom
                            (aka: Cindi from Canton, OH)

                            Generys asked:
                            (in
                            general not necessarily for this book)
                          • Heather Rose Jones
                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 27, 2003
                              At 1:22 PM -0800 2/27/03, Llyn wrote:
                              >Greetings! Please forgive the cross-posting :-)
                              >
                              >Do any of you know anything about this book? Accuracy, etc.?
                              >
                              ><http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2161160091>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2161160091

                              For those who don't want to deal with ebay: Costume Reference 1:
                              ROMAN BRITAIN AND THE MIDDLE AGES - Marion Sichel 1977 .

                              I've seen a number of volumes in this series. My recollection is
                              that it leans towards re-drawings and interpretations rather than
                              original sources, and strikes me as being aimed more for theatrical
                              purposes than costume history purposes. It would be useful for
                              getting some "look and feel" background, but I wouldn't necessarily
                              rely on it for interpretations of construction.

                              Tangwystyl
                              --
                              *****
                              Heather Rose Jones
                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 27, 2003
                                At 1:30 PM -0800 2/27/03, Llyn wrote:
                                >How about this one??
                                >
                                ><http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3503681114>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3503681114

                                Similar comments to the other one.

                                Tangwystyl
                                --
                                *****
                                Heather Rose Jones
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 27, 2003
                                  Oh, ok, that's cool, I just thought you had something against eBay. :-)

                                  Generys
                                  | > Why would you not buy something in print on eBay? Cheap is
                                  | good... :-) (in
                                  | > general not necessarily for this book)
                                  |
                                  | You misunderstand me, Generys. I meant that she might pay TOO MUCH
                                  | for it on eBay. She could easily get it at a discount place or in a
                                  | second-hand shop for less that the auction may go for.
                                  |
                                  | Kass

                                • Simone de Barjavel
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 27, 2003
                                    Fair Cousins,

                                    The world is a little emptier, tonight.

                                    It is with profound sorrow, and tremendous grief, that
                                    I report the passing
                                    of Master Finnr, this evening, of a heart attack.

                                    I would write more, but I just can't, right now.
                                    Please raise your glasses
                                    in rememberance of a good man, and keep his wife,
                                    Karen, in your thoughts.

                                    More to follow as information becomes available.

                                    Yours,
                                    Thomas Longshanks

                                    http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                                  • Kass McGann <historian@reconstructinghis
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 28, 2003
                                      > It is with profound sorrow, and tremendous grief, that
                                      > I report the passing
                                      > of Master Finnr, this evening, of a heart attack.

                                      Master Finnr (who I knew as James) was a kind and gentle man,
                                      a great teacher, a wonderful mentor, and a loss to the SCA and
                                      the reenactment world as a whole. I'm stunned by this news.

                                      Thomas, please forward details of where to send sympathy
                                      cards, flowers, or where to make donations whenever you can.

                                      May the Halls of Vallhalla rejoice! You are getting one of our
                                      best!

                                      In greatest, deepest sympathy,
                                      Kass
                                    • Rosine
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 28, 2003
                                        Three forwarded messages follow:

                                        *****************
                                        >Friends,
                                        >
                                        >There will be two viewings for James Howell on Sunday, March 2nd 2003.
                                        >
                                        >2:00 pm-4:00 pm First Viewing
                                        >6:00 pm-8:00 pm Second Viewing
                                        >
                                        >There will also be a Memorial Service for James on Monday, March 3rd
                                        starting at 7:00 pm.

                                        >All services will be held at:
                                        >The Joseph W. Bliley Funeral Home
                                        >6900 Hull Street Road
                                        >Richmond, Virginia 23224
                                        >
                                        >Bryce and I will be having a wake in memoriam of James
                                        >at our house tomorrow night. Bryce has sent the info.
                                        >To help defray the costs for James' widow Karin (I do
                                        >not believe James had any insurance), we will be
                                        >passing the hat. If you wish to send any
                                        >contributions, please make your checks out to :
                                        >
                                        >Karin Howell
                                        >
                                        >you can send them to me, and I will make sure she gets
                                        >them. My address is :
                                        >
                                        >10524 Jason Road
                                        >Richmond, Virginia 23235
                                        >
                                        >Dame Anne is also having a fundraiser for Karin Howell
                                        >at the Kingdom Arts and Sciences event this weekend.
                                        >
                                        >Thank you.
                                        >Travis Brandel
                                        >Balynar
                                        **************
                                        Hail the Manx,

                                        Funeral arrangements for Finnr/James follow.

                                        We couldn't arrange for a longship, but Finnr will be cremated in accordance
                                        with his wishes.

                                        Finnr always loved bonfires. We have been talking today about the
                                        possibility of a memorial bonfire later in the spring. Then, we can do it up
                                        right.

                                        - Thomas
                                        *****************
                                        Greetings to all,

                                        For those of you who don't know already, Master Finnr has a personal
                                        webpage that I've been maintaining for him for over a year now, and it
                                        has a very nice guestbook that you can contribute to. Several thoughtful
                                        folks have already posted kind memorial messages there and I would like
                                        to encourage everyone to do the same. If you wish to leave a note of
                                        condolence to his wife Karen and his brother David, or you just wish to
                                        post a fond remembrance of Finnr, please go to
                                        http://www.geocities.com/yarnvidi/ and click on the "Sign Guestbook"
                                        link at the top right of the page. You can also just go there and view
                                        the guestbook if you like. I will be keeping an eye on the website and
                                        guestbook and plan on archiving all the messages. If you have any
                                        questions regarding the website or guest book please feel free to email
                                        me.

                                        Many, many people loved Finnr and I think it will mean a lot to his
                                        family and friends to have a central place to gather their thoughts and
                                        remembrances. Personally, reading all the kinds words on the various
                                        emails lists has done my heart good. I'm sure it will help Karen and
                                        David a great deal too to read so many kind words from Finnr's friends
                                        and loved ones.

                                        Take care and I wish you all health and happiness.

                                        Yours in service,

                                        Lady Gudrun Ottosdottir
                                        (Monica L. Wilson)

                                        P.S. I'm sure I missed many other email lists, so please feel free to
                                        forward this message to anyone who would wish to read it.
                                      • r.carnegie@verizon.net
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 3, 2003