Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Another new list member (long)

  • stephen higa
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2001
      > OK, time to go totally off topic - I have a story about a camera at an
      > event. Moshe and I were at the annual ball in a neighboring shire,
      > and he asked me to take a photo of him and Duke Cariadoc.

      Ah yes, that! Actually, I asked if you would mind taking a quick sketch of
      us. ;) I would NEVER have mentioned a camera in front of His Grace!

      > And His
      > Grace's reaction to had nothing to do with the business of unknown
      > technology, but simply that portraiture was against his belief
      > (because aren't there Muslim tenets against iconography? I forget why
      > though).

      Well, the Jewish one has to do with the commandment against making graven
      images and worshipping idols. I think the Muslim/Jewish/Christian one has
      to do with the fact that only God can create a life form, and
      drawing/painting/carving/etc. a living thing is therefore blasphemy. That's
      why most Moslem/Jewish/Amish art is geometric and/or involves the sacred
      Arabic/Hebrew script to ornamental effect.

      > So (one of my first experiences in persona play) I went on
      > about portraits being the highest honor where I come from, etc...

      Yes, marvelous work!

      > and
      > then got a bit frustrated, because it took me a little while to
      > realize that although I now had permission to take the photo, he
      > wouldn't pose :)

      Yes, he looks pretty silly in the shot. Oh well.

      > of course, if human figures are never depicted in
      > artwork, then how would a person know to stand still and smile for a
      > portrait?

      Ohmygosh, EXCELLENT insight. He certainly is a master at the medieval
      mindset! Wow, he astounds me.

      > It was amazing - I really did feel
      > like I had encountered someone from another century and an alien
      > culture. And ironically it was because of a modern tool!
      > anyway, just felt like sharing :)

      Yes, that was cool! :) thanks.

      Moshe
      Only a voice,
      A dim voice whispers where the shadow of a man
      Visibly lay, but when I looked
      It had vanished--
      This flickering form...
      Like haze over the fields.