Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: New member: Constance Fairfax - Intro

  • stephen higa
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 2, 2001
      > As for lyrics, seems like the classic Elizabethan
      > lute song theme is "I love her, she hates me, I die in
      > despair." I do not compose, but I think a cleverly
      > done parody of this sort of thing could be brilliant.

      Same with troubadour songs. In fact, there was this one by Peire Cardenal
      (c.1205-1272) which makes fun of this, going through all the cliches and
      images used by the typical troubadour canso:

      "I no longer say that I am dying for the most noble lady,
      nor that my fair one makes me languish;
      I neither pray to her nor adore her
      I neither ask for her nor desire her.
      I neither give her any homage
      nor bestow myself on her norhave I given myself to her.
      I am not her submissive serf
      nor does she have my heart as surety.
      I am neither her captive nor her liege man.
      Rather would I say that I have escaped from her..." etc...

      And he uses a ridiculous amount of alliteration: "leu l'er lo larcx laus lag
      loinhatz; ...dreitz drutz del dart d'amor nafratz. Pus pauc pres, pus pres
      es compratz." What do you think of that???? I am loathe to attempt
      performing this, needless to say. ;)

      Moshe
      Only a voice,
      A dim voice whispers where the shadow of a man
      Visibly lay, but when I looked
      It had vanished--
      This flickering form...
      Like haze over the fields.

      --Seami Motokiyo (1363-1444)

    • constancefairfax@cs.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 2, 2001
        > The re-creation of medieval vocal styles is among my greatest interests!
        > Where are you? I'd love to hear some of your stuff! I've been researching
        > medieval Iberian vocal techniques (Jewish, Christian, Muslim) and would
        love
        > to show you what I've managed to reconstruct! :)
        >
        > Moshe AveniƧmel

        Shalom, Moshe! :)

        Iberian! Wow, that's quite an excursion! :) I would love to hear what you
        have. Right now, I live near Detroit, although in September, we are moving
        to Chicago. We go to Pennsic, do you?

        :)
        Constance
      • dannw@pathcom.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 4, 2001
          Greetings,

          As I said, I'm behind in my email but, in the spirit of this list I
          would like to add to her intro. : )

          Constance is doing some good work with her Elizabethan costuming and
          has come up with a list of colours and their DMC (embroidery floss)
          equivalents. : )

          Cheers,
          Gwendoline (waving frantically - "Hi Constance!" <G>)

          --- In Authentic_SCA@y..., constancefairfax@c... wrote:
          > Hi-
          >
          > I'm really :( sad that I didn't join this group earlier. :)
          >
          > I understand my husband mentioned he was going to urge me to
          subscribe, but
          > I'd like to give a little bio anyway.
          >
          > I've been in the SCA for just over 10 years.
          >
          > My main field of interest is period music, specifically English
          secular. I
          > have a masterwork project which I am working on which is a songbook
          full of
          > period English secular songs (from about 1300-1600, maybe no
          Ravenscroft)
          > which will eventually be a published songbook. I am an avid teacher
          of easy
          > period music and a strong advocate of its use in everyday SCA-dom.
          *I
          > PERSONALLY* feel that most SCA-filk belongs at post-revels...not in
          the feast
          > hall. I also teach a "Period Vocal Style" class at Pennsic which I
          feel is
          > my "biggest contribution to authenticity".
          >
          > The field in which I have "shown the most improvement" since I have
          joined
          > the SCA is in costuming. I am interested in renaissance English and
          Flemish

        • constancefairfax@cs.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 4, 2001
            > Constance is doing some good work with her Elizabethan costuming and
            > has come up with a list of colours and their DMC (embroidery floss)
            > equivalents. : )
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Gwendoline (waving frantically - "Hi Constance!" <G>)

            Looky that. On Vigil and already patting heads. :) Good for you! :)

            :)

            Constance