Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Scottish garb

  • caoilte
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 1, 2001
      wally meeker wrote:

      > --- Bob Davis <brewer@...> wrote:
      > > caoilte wrote:
      > > >
      > > > The Black watch was a kick@** regiment and the
      > > source of some great OOP
      > > > stories. It seems a shame that their Tartan has
      > > become associated with
      > > > Catholic school girls. One story took place in
      > > the French-Indian war. The
      > > > Black watch was surrounded by (well, I'm not sure
      > > which tribe, but anyway,
      > > > they were surrounded). They had taken a great
      > > many casualties and saw no way
      > > > out. They propped their dead up on a wagon and
      > > began to play the pipes.
      > > > Their opponents were convinced the dead had risen
      > > again and were wailing as
      > > > they prepared to join battle and left post-haste.
      > >
      > I Saw that movie about that, it has Claudette Colbert
      > in it. I can't think of the male lead. something about
      > Ft. Pitt and a white flag turned red. The Bad guy
      > Played Ben Franklin in 1776 in the 70's. the Movie is
      > in color and has been on AMC. Great Flick.
      >
      > Thorbjorn

      THere was a movie? I'll have to check it out

      Caoilte
    • stephen higa
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 2, 2001
        > Seriously, though, I love experimental archeology. The kind of stuff I've
        > learned from reconstructing period gowns and wearing them is stuff that no
        > Ph.D. program on earth could have taught me... I love what we do.

        Excellently put! there was this lady on SCA-Arts list who was an
        illuminator. She was at a manuscript convention of some sorts, and one
        exhibitor had a manuscript she found particularly interesting. She picked
        it up and was examining it from the side to see just how high they had
        spread the gesso. The owner of the booth came up and was curious what she
        was doing. They ended up in a long conversation which continued over
        dinner. He said that he had learned more from a few hours with her than he
        had from years of talking to scholars and experts. She replied that that's
        because she actually DID them, not just studied them.

        Isn't that wonderful?? :)

        Moshe
        Only a voice,
        A dim voice whispers where the shadow of a man
        Visibly lay, but when I looked
        It had vanished--
        This flickering form...
        Like haze over the fields.

        --Seami Motokiyo (1363-1444)
      • Kass McGann
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 3, 2001
          > Excellently put! there was this lady on SCA-Arts list who was an
          > illuminator. She was at a manuscript convention of some sorts, and one
          > exhibitor had a manuscript she found particularly interesting. She picked
          > it up and was examining it from the side to see just how high they had
          > spread the gesso. The owner of the booth came up and was curious what she
          > was doing. They ended up in a long conversation which continued over
          > dinner. He said that he had learned more from a few hours with her than
          he
          > had from years of talking to scholars and experts. She replied that
          that's
          > because she actually DID them, not just studied them.
          >
          > Isn't that wonderful?? :)

          Yes it is! THAT is why I do this...

          Kass
        • Bob Davis
          Message 4 of 21 , May 3, 2001
            caoilte wrote:

            > > D-Day, 1944. The Watch comes out of the landing craft. Who's first on
            > > the beach? The regimental piper, followed by the brigadier. Enough to
            > > give a man chills, even if they ARE a bunch of guys in skirts.
            >
            > Didn't the Germans call the Highlanders something to the effect of "Lady's from
            > Hell"?

            Right-o. A man in a skirt with a bayonet is NOT something most normal
            men wish to contemplate.

            --
            Robert P. Davis: Brewer, Musician,