9Re: [Authentic_SCA] Ethnic Medieval Music

  • Stephen Higa
    Nov 3, 2000
      He's a medieval musicologist?? Wow!

      I have some friends into medieval North African music. I'll forward your
      message to them, too.

      My suggestion: find the period texts, find out all you can about the music
      that would've been associated with it (particularly rhythm, modes, theory,
      etc.), listen to the modern traditions, and formulate a melody for the text
      based on that knowledge. Of course, the modern "Andalusian" musical
      tradition in North Africa claims unbroken continuity with the medieval
      Arabo-Andalusian tradition, and those Ladino songs also seem to have
      unbroken links to 15th c. Spain, but since we can't be sure, it might be the
      better bet to create melodies anew using the documentably medieval text. My
      current project is an 11th/12th c. Hebrew muwashshah, and in the past I've
      done the same with Beowulf. The medieval music ensemble Altramar (whom I've
      linked in the "Links" section) also does this.

      e sirviessen a vos,
      Moshe Mantega
      Todo callado, todo 'stava'n silencio,
      Como la nuve'n a la escuridad.