6827Re: [Authentic_SCA] Linguistics question...

  • Ariane Helou
    May 31, 2001
      Effingham wrote:
      >Did he say "joot" or "yoot"? <g>

      "Joot." Does that make him thoroughly uncouth? :)

      >Didn't anyone think to look at a dictionary? Didn't your teacher even think of
      >that?

      Well, I have to admit the thought crossed my mind, but my dictionaries are
      in the boxes and boxes of stuff that are in the keeping of my very obliging
      boyfriend until I move into my new place (and therefore inaccessible). And
      yeah, the libraries and computers would be good resources too, but still,
      the teacher didn't think of it and no one else in the class seemed to
      care. But I do agree that most teachers would have immediately suggested
      checking a dictionary. This one's a little...well...not the best I've ever
      had :( Today he spent half an hour trying to get the class to understand a
      very simple concept which most profs. could explain much more lucidly in
      half that time...

      >Most good dictionaries *have* etymologies where you can find that sort of
      >thing.

      Yeah, yeah, I know. My dad taught me that the OED was the holiest book in
      the house <g>. And even humbler dictionaries are quite useful.

      >KEG comes from the Anglo-Saxon KAG, which came from the Norse word KAGGI.

      Thank you! So it's a Germanic word and not a Celtic one. That answers my
      question perfectly :)

      And Dorje (though isn't Caoilte more likely to know about this? ;) wrote:
      >>Its probably a word that predates both welsh and English, or it could
      have gone
      the other way. Still, this is kind of a mystery to me. Traditional history
      portrays a germanic invasion that pushed the Brythonic population into Wales
      and Cornwall.

      Yeah, the teacher didn't seem to hot on the details of political history,
      but that's the impression I got.

      >>The Archeologucal evidence doesn't show a lot of disruption in
      everyday life during this time. Was there really a violent displacement or
      were the common people simply assimilated into the new Anglo-Saxon culture? If
      they were assimilated why didn't the Brithonic language have more influence on
      Old English?

      Very good questions. *Wish* I knew the answers!

      >>I don't know the answer to your question, but if anyone has a
      frisian dictionary or speaks frisian, see if the word Keg appears in the
      frisian dialect. It shares an origin with Anglo-Saxon and would not have been
      influenced by Welsh or Cornish.

      Right, because Frisian is also Germanic. Any idea if it predates
      Anglo-Saxon? (Or is it spoken nowadays? I have no clue what the time
      frame is for that one.) At any rate, there must be a dictionary of it
      *somewhere* that's accessible. Well, now I have a project to keep me busy
      over the weekend! :)

      Thanks for the info, folks! I appreciate it :)

      Vittoria
      planning to go Frisian-hunting soon as her homework permits
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic