62Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Seeking Spanish info

  • Stephen Higa
    Feb 7, 2001
      > Thank you! I'm a huge fan of themed events that expose people to something
      > new, and have run a few over the years, mostly from the Middle east or
      > Byzantium. They involve a lot of research and are a lot of work, but I
      > think are very well worth it.

      I've never been to a themed event, and I don't recall ever hearing of any
      where I am (in the West). However, a Maghrebi persona and I have been
      fantasizing about some day putting up a pavillion at an event for Medieval
      Spanish persona play, discussion of philosophy/science/theology/litereature,
      poetry reading, etc. If we ever do that, I'll certainly ask you for advice!

      > For this particular feast I'm looking at Moorish banners and tiraz curtains
      > for the walls, the floors will have rugs, cushions and a few low stools.
      > I'm considering making a latticework screen to seperate male and female
      > diners, but that may not end up being practical. Lighting will be provided
      > by several polycandelon/mosque lamps we have, and I'd like to have a go at
      > a really sexy pryamidal chandelier style based on an example in a Spanish
      > mosque. The food will be served on low tables in accordance with the
      > etiquette of Ziryab although I draw the line at fine leather being used for
      > tablecloths!), and I'm hoping to hire some green-glazed Islamic/Byzantine
      > serving dishes reconstructed from archeological finds by a local potter.
      > Knowing my kitchen team the food will be sumptuous and blessedly free of
      > non-period middle eastern items!

      Ahhhhh...that sounds so very cool! You've really done your research. I
      especially love the re-created pottery!

      > As well as that, I hope there will be lots of poetry reading, games (chess,
      > zatrikion, alquerque, sirret), I daresay plenty of lighthearted flirting
      > through the screen, music, singing and dancing. I hadn't thought of a
      > puppet show, but it's a good idea, if I'm not exhausted with all the
      > rest of the preperations!

      [writhing with frustration over not being able to attend]

      > It's in Sydney, Australia. Not very close to the bay area, but you've got
      > eight months to save up your plane fare and come over! :o)

      Umm, okay... Rats! Why do you have to live in Australia??

      Moshe
      Qu'er non es grazitz lunhs mestiers
      menhs en cort que de belh saber
      de trobar -- qu'auzir e vezer