59254Enchanting the Ground you stand on (WAS re: [Authentic_SCA] RE: Hello?)

  • George A.Trosper
    Apr 13, 2014
      [Bottom posted, for good reason, not top-posted.

      [Altho I'm not sure there's good enough reason for my going on this long! However, y'all are welcome to say if I'm being spectacularly unhelpful.]

      On 3/6/2014 7:37 PM, Scat@... wrote:
      I could well be wrong; however, I do not believe that I have ever been in a group or at an event at which EVERYBODY agreed to limit themselves to medieval topics.  I have been at many events at which a small group of people did so--usually only at large events.
      Colm

      It depends on what you mean, after all, by "a group". I've certainly been more or less enchanted (if we can call it that) for parts of a day at a revel.

      Sir Cariadoc of the Bow ran an Enchanted Ground at the all-kingdom 25yr celebration a few decades ago--and was gracious enough to let me, as His Irreverence, AEthelred the Over-Ready, Abbot of the Abbey of Misrule, stumble in on the evening of its very last day, after the old fool (wiv his fyke Noineteenf-century Cockney accent, yet!) apologized profusely for giving his period as "about free Aye-Em".)

      Which was better, if only because unpremeditated, than the sweet young kid who soon after arrival sang a verse or more of Baldwin of Erebor's "Welcome to the Current Middle Ages (we're glad you've come and hope that you can stay)", which is of course ALL wrong because it stands precisely IN the Society and NOT in period. Sir Cariadoc proved himself as wise as he was learned by offering to explain privately to the boy LATER what was wrong about that performance.

      (In case you've never met the song, if you've MS-Word available its lyrics, among several others, can be found thru http://www.ravenboymusic.com/Lyrics/Welcomelyrics.doc .)

      "Seven Daffodils", performed on a 20th-c. guitar before our Shire was officially Incipient, was enchanted compared to that.

      But somehow we survived.

      On 3/3/2014 7:55 PM, Basil wrote:
      What I'm looking for is hints and help on *me* staying in character, and how to do so in ways that encourage others to give it a try. IOW, something less formal, less insistent, than Enchanted Ground.

      The Musicians' Guild of Loch Salann (my home barony) tries its best for just about that goal, Basil, when we converse at table during feasts. When we're getting far afield, someone--often our Guildmistress--gently reminds us by expressing in-persona confusion at the modern word or concept--and often we amuse ourselves explaining, often w/ our standard remedy of parallel expression. For example:

      If Mr. George A. Trosper (me) is having a problem w/ his vehicle, Lord Michael Gerard (other me) will tell how he argued w/ his farrier, or complain his palfrey threw a shoe, fetched up lame, failed to negotiate an easy jump over a hedge, or the like.

      When my mother was growing increasingly demented before her death, so was the equally off-stage Josephine of Westminister, an anchoress at Graystone Priory who's been like a mother to Gerard. (His own died before he left the Abbey of St. Guthlac up in the West Riding of Yorkshire.) Of course that requires having period names for what and who you want to talk about.

      (So Our Lady of Lourdes Parish, Salt Lake City, named after a 19th-c. appearance of the timeless Blessed Virgin Mary, is parallel to St. Mary's Bethesda, one of the 100 or so parishes in London that no one except possibly the Archbishop's clerks can keep track of.)

      On the other hand, if we're getting into mutually interesting discussion that simply can't be accommodated that way--e.g., research findings--we all just give up on enchantment. Temporarily.

      This sort of thing can even shape a whole persona. Mistress Anne de Junius, being a very married lady mundanely and therefore wishing to be seen so in the SCA.  But her mundane husband mostly just didn't wanna play our particular game, altho he had no problem w/ her participation. So she established her period husband as a merchant of the Hanse, who was conveniently at sea or otherwise occupied.

      On 3/3/2014 6:32 PM, Kim Gibson wrote:

      I very much appreciate Enchanted grounds, though not the Elizabethan part.  My persona is so much earlier, that would be as anachronistic as modern English!

      Ceallagh Maraidhe

      Early Modern English (not specifically Elizabethan) happens to be Gerard's native tongue, tho w/ a fading Yorkshire accent (he's worked in Southwark and resided between London and Westminster these many a year). I certainly can't and don't do that consistently--we used to call it "speaking forsoothly", and a critique was implied by that term--and a 20th-c. British accent is even sillier.

      But I do try to avoid obvious modernisms. Just for two goals: Squelching my too-obviously 1960s "man" (except where Scots "mon" would do) from when I was young, as well as ANY use of "duude" as the currently young apply it. And eradicating "okay", for which it's amazing how MANY different phrases need to be substituted in different contexts, from "'Tis well!" to "I will be pleased to make it so" to "She fares indifferent well" and on and on. (You need to practice coming up w/ substitutes ahead of time, and even then you won't always succeed.)

      Our founding baroness, Mistress Ferelith MacDonald, always read a few scenes of Shakespeare before driving to a revel, in order to have a period rhythm in mind. But then, she was mundanely a high-school drama teacher.

      Is any of tabove at all helpful to anyone?

      Let me end w/ another parallel. From the great Master John of Oxford (aka J.R.R. Tolkien)'s "On Fairy Stories":
      Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays, and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants, or dragons: it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted.
      Perhaps there is something in that attitude that can translate into enchanting ourselves and our immediate vicinities.
    • Show all 22 messages in this topic