      From: Basil <basild@...>
      To: Authentic_SCA <Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tue, Mar 4, 2014 2:21 am
      Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] RE: Hello?

      On 3/3/2014 5:37 PM, bronwynmgn@... wrote:
      > We (meaning me and my husband and some like-minded friends who usually camp next
      > to/hang out with each other) have been known to "enchant" our personal camping area or
      > dayshade area at events, and folks seem to like to come and sit with us for short
      > periods. We don't limit ourselves to Elizabethan English (which would be just as
      > inauthentic as modern English considering we are dealing with a 12th century English
      > woman, a 13th century Spanish woman and two 14th century Scots...) but we do go to
      > period topics only. Our Pennsic encampment is also mostly enchanted - no modern stuff
      > visible outside tents (or preferably inside if the tent is open), and we try to limit
      > modern topics of conversatin as much as possible. The only "free item" is modern
      > books, as we are all bibliofiles and constantly sharing research with each other.
      > Brangwayna Morgan Shire of Silver Rylle, East Kingdom Lancaster, PA

      > -----Original Message----- From: Scat <Scat@...> To: Authentic_SCA
      > <Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com> Cc: Dee Cadoret <kitaye@...> Sent: Mon, Mar 3,
      > 2014 7:49 pm Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] RE: Hello?
      >
      > Something that I miss in my current kingdom is a lack of interest in what elsewhere is
      > called "Enchanted Circles": while you are within the clearly marked bounds, you are
      > expected to limit speech to Elizabethan English and topics known to period personas. To
      > my way of thinking, such activity inspires authenticity. Agree? Disagree? Colm Dubh
      > ---- Dee Cadoret <kitaye@... <mailto:kitaye@...>>; wrote:

      I would *love* to have Enchanted Ground at an event! (Yes, I've read up on them, I know
      what it involves). However, here in An Tir, there seems to be zero interest in such a
      thing, or in authentically *acting the part* or one's persona. Talk about personas, sure;
      *_BE_* one's persona, nope.

      I'd try setting up an Enchanted Ground myself, except for two things: first, my tent and
      equipment is mostly screamingly modern, and two, I'm too much the coward. I'm also just
      not the "take the lead" type; I can be a good and helpful follower, but if I try to lead I
      second guess myself too much, as well as being to rigid and thus driving people off.

      What I'm looking for is hints and help on *me* staying in character, and how to do so in
      ways that encourage others to give it a try. IOW, something less formal, less insistent,
      than Enchanted Ground.

      I hope to hear more from you all! :-)

      ~~Basil Dragonstrike

      Help out, please: http://www.squidoo.com/lensmasters/rowanchisholm

      Ah, but I was so much older then; I'm younger than that, now. -- Bob Dylan

      Erō mītis cum sim mortuus.

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic