59180Embroidered hoods?

  • Kareina Talvi Tytär
    Dec 2, 2012
      Greetings,

      I have been assembling myself a black wool hood fully lined in fur (from a
      (probably) mink coat I found at a second hand store).

      Since I live in Frostheim (Luleå, Norrbotten, Sweden) I will be using it on
      cold days to walk to and from work. Therefore I am now considering adding
      some sort of white and silver metallic embroidery so that it will be a bit
      reflective in headlights and so safer to wear on our dark winter days.

      However, I will aslo want to use it at SCA events, therefore any embroidery
      added needs to be appropriate to somewhere and somewhen in our period. I
      have certainly seen many people at events over the years wearing hoods with
      embroidery on them, but I have no idea from which century(ies) or
      culture(s) those hoods come from.

      When next I am on a better connection than my phone I plan to do a search
      to see what I can find on line in the way of period examples of embroidered
      hoods. However, knowing how easy it is to forget what I had planed to
      search for I thought I would ask here as well.

      Do any of you know of any nice examples of embroidered hoods in period?
      From where/when? Any and all suggestions of urls to check out when I am
      properly on line again will be appreciated, in part because the email
      waiting in my in box will remind me to go looking.

      Thanks,

      --Kareina
      Feeling flexible as to time and place today.