59126Re: where to find bees wax for candle making demonstration

  • christopher
    Jul 19, 2012
      Ok I with your advice I found some really great sources of bees wax a few local bee keepers are going to give me their excess wax as it's for a good cause of educating the public although I'll have to process the wax to make it usable should be an interesting experience. My next question is books or websites that show the method of making them and the history of candles so that I can give a synopsis of what historical wicks were used and how to construct them as I haven't really made any before. SO would you recommend any websites books that would give such information. Thanks again for all your advice I really appreciate it.

      --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "gardinladi" <gardinladi@...> wrote:

      > This may be a long shot, but do you know anyone who is on the Altar Guild or helps out at their church who still uses beeswax candles? As a teenager ours still did, and the pillar candles were used until they were an inch or two high and too short for the holders then discarded or possibly given away.
      >
      > --Dame Jocelyn of Lutterworth
      >

      > --- In Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com, "christopher" <chris_kletke@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > I am trying to do a candle making demonstration with our SCA group for our museum comes to life event. I am going to be making tallow and bees wax candles as both were period. Tallow part I'm fine with but finding a good source of bees wax has been hard that isn't an arm and a leg since I'm a poor college student. So any advice on finding inexpensive bees wax suppliers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
      > >

      > > Chris

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic