59017use of applique in period banners

  • Elizabeth W
    May 15, 2012
      Our College could do with a new war banner (as the old one is made of
      cotton and very faded). The current plan is to appliqué this design
      http://lochac.sca.org/LRoA/Emblazons/Saint_Aldhelm_College_of.gif. For
      the sake of a more colour fast fabric with the right sort of weight I
      was thinking of probably using silk taffeta, or possibly dupion if it
      is noticeably cheaper.
      The articles I can find all seem to be about painted banners but as
      this is a project that we're hoping to do in short (2 hour) stints
      during our weekly meetings silk painting is not a very practical
      option (as what I've read about silk painting suggests that the only
      way to get relatively even colour across a large area is to make sure
      it is all painted in one go and allowed to dry flat so the dye won't
      pool or run).
      Does anyone know of a good source of information on the use of
      appliqué in period banners?

      Elizabeth Walpole
      http://magpiecostumer.wordpress.com/
      http://magpiecostumer.110mb.com/