      From: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com]
      On Behalf Of Susan Meitzler
      Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:57 PM
      To: Authentic_SCA@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Authentic_SCA] Wappenrock/Waffenrock/Bases questions...

      1) do not call it a skirt from what i have been told it's is literally
      a "war shirt
      2)The waffenrock was usually worn under armor as much as I have seen.
      The mantle and chest piece have become part of the waffenrock ensemble.
      3)Wams is a separate piece all together and usually worn with hosen
      and has nothing to do with a waffenrock and the top and bottom are
      connected as almost a dress. Wams are usually made with a series of
      triangles pieced together while a waffenrock has at least one rectangle
      4) You can do without the sleeves as almost a "tank" style but I would
      add sleeves of a contrasting color to make it look spiffy
      Now if anyone does disagree I won't argue. As one of the core members
      of a Landsknecht unit's baggage train and maker of clothes, these are
      just my personal observations as no extant waffenrock still exists
      YIS,
      Lady Magdalena Von KDT
      East kingdom/ shire of Eisental

      On Aug 23, 2011, at 6:11 PM, JL Badgley wrote:

      > I'm looking for help with late 15th/early 16th century German garments
      > for wearing with armor. I've been pointed to the "wappenrock", which
      > appears to be a wams/doublet garment with a pleated skirt--though I
      > think the term applies equally to other garments (I see it used for
      > military coats, surcoats, etc.). The skirt appears to be called
      > "bases" by some, and I found one example showing that it was padded.
      >
      > I'm looking to make my appearance in armor *more* correct while I wait
      > to get metal everywhere ;) This seems like it could cover some sins,
      > if I understand it correctly, and add some extra protection
      >
      > Question 1) Is the above generally correct? Do people understand what
      > I"m looking for?
      >
      > Question 2) Would wams/wappenrock be worn *over* armor, such as this:

      http://members.armourarchive.org/robertdc/Raglan2010/TomMonmouthByPavillion.
      jpg