58813Re: [Authentic_SCA] Re: Dog collars in period

  • Honour Horne-Jaruk
    Jul 21, 2011
      Respected friends:

      > Brizendine wrote:
      > > The act of walking his dog does not cancel the fact
      > that this very
      > > dog was
      > > probably some sort of ratter or pest control type dog
      > as it appears
      > > to be a
      > > terrier type dog.
      Given the subject of the picture, and the stick/cane in the man's other hand, it more likely fits in another working category I missed: handicapped assistance. In addition to leading the blind, which goes back at least to Rome, dogs have served such functions as warning of the onset of both seizures and chemically-mediated psychotic episodes. (I'm looking for one who can identify hypoglycemic attacks.) If a dog is large and strong enough, it can even learn to "dive" under a child who frequently falls while walking.
      However, you're dismissing a category of "working" dog that certainly did exist in the middle ages: conspicuous consumption. Dogs bred, and kept, solely for their grace and beauty. Most lap-dogs fit into this category, too; they were as much an accessory as a pair of gloves or a lace-edged muckender. They didn't do any kind of practical work. Like dwarves and jesters, they existed for the amusement of those wealthy enough to afford them.

      Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
      (Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
      Alizaundre de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict

      "If you're a normal human, the inside of your head is not a pretty
      place. Venting it unfiltered to the internet may feel therapeutic,
      but it's unlikely to end well."
      --Goedjn
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic